Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aron Franklin backyard cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aron Franklin backyard cooker

A little pricey for me, though.

Definitely not for tailgating.

Comment

Definitely more that I got.

Comment

Big tall stack and no damper on the door. In true Franklin style, an offset that intends to keep a flame vs. a smolder in the insulated firebox.

Looks to be a 20 x 42 with a single grate and weighing in at 600 lbs. For a pit that expensive the real estate appears to be a little limited. I am surprised he didn't step up to a 24 to get a bit more grill surface area.

I think the pricing has landed a bit cheaper than their first estimates. Heavy duty pit for sure and with Aaron's personal brand on it, it will likely sell well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	612
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	811245 's

Comment

• pknj
          pknj commented
          Editing a comment
          Does that mean just constant babysitting? I’ve never tried a stick burner, but this may be waaaaay to advanced for me. Not to mention pricey for what I get away with.

• Alphonse
          Alphonse commented
          Editing a comment
          pknj Yes, that's what a stick burner is all about - poking fire and loading wood. They are very love intensive. My theory is that's why you see so many used ones for sale. Folks buy them not understanding the kind of attention, time, and commitment it takes to cook on them. So many grow weary and sell them or store them in the back 40. I have a friend who has one in his shed that hasn't seen a fire in 10 years but he hangs onto it..

I guess my other main cookers are in the realm of this price range. I don't have an offset yet so... never say never.

But I will say... not now.
        Last edited by Attjack; March 3, 2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I would love to try cooking on one of those. Looks to be built like a tank.

Comment

Where's the pellet feeder?

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              LoL

I've heard of a guy in Argentina who makes really nice cookers. I think he is opening a shop in Mexico. Ole!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              This!

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP Damm, Someone copying off me already. Wait till I find that guy!!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahumadora We've seen plenty of pics of his cookers and his cooks, you've got your work cut out for you to outdo this guy.

Likey Likey, but want to stay married.

Comment

IMO if I'm running one it needs a flip-top firebox, but to each their own.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah right, insulated...... Flip top!! Insulated!! - John Deere!! CaseIH!!! - Ford!!! Chevy!!!!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep flip-top vs insulted is like car vs truck. Both have their pros & cons. Jerod Broussard

I'd rather finance an Old Hickory. It's a slumber and smoke thing.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                You sleep too much. Get out there with the coons and night bugs and get to smoking.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm at work during that time Huskee This keeps me in bed until noon

Well on Weds I am headed to Mexico then Thursday Jumping on another flight to San Antonio and driving to Austin.
              Need to do some banking there and show my biz partner some BBQ places.
              Saturday night back to Mexico city for a few days to sort things, then a 9 hr flight back to Argentina.

Looking at the viabillity of fabricating in Mexico and shipping truck loads of pits to the US. Or sending container loads directly from Argentina
              Here's a couple of my pits. Let me know what price I could resonably sell them for.

1st one is a 20" reverse flow with 2 racks in 3/16" steel
              2nd is a 30" with 3 racks (upper part 3/16" and firebox is 1/4")
              Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                The bottom one has 3 racks? Looks big & tight, like it would really get the job done. But it needs the the king emblem on it. Cool! Very cool!

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll give you $75 US dollars, cash, for the first one. You'll cover the shipping, of course....

• SipIt
                SipIt commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not trying to solicit business as this site provides much needed relief from work, but if you do have questions in regards to the process of trucking from MX or shipping via ocean from Argentina, feel free to pm me. I own a NVOCC, which handles just that.

With my fingers in my ears and my eyes closed...”La la la la la la.” Nope, nothing here. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                With my fingers in my ears and my eyes closed...”La la la la la la.” Nope, nothing here. LOL
                I don't think we could get away with running one of these type of smokers here in SoCal anyway. Can only drool...

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shouldn’t be a problem unless there’s some sort of local ordinance.
                  My biggest issue with something like that would be keeping it fed... I only know of one place in SoCal to purchase smoking wood (other than the little bags available at DIY stores) and a couple online retailers. And the online places only sell smaller splits. So it would probably end up being a charcoal powered, wood infused smoker...nothing different than what I have now...just bigger.

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are no local ordinances in SoCal for residential smokers. Local ordinances follow SCAQMD Rule 445. The only restriction for home owners with a portable smoker is to not use the smoker on designated "No Burn Days" during the winter burning curtailment (Nov. 1 - Feb 28).

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking more along the lines of an HOA...or some Berkeley type nonsense. LOL

Mean while on the out skirts of Mexico city a new pit smoker is being born. Diameter 1040mm. Should fit a whole hog nicely in there.
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here