Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What oil to season a new pit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What oil to season a new pit?

I have a new log burner and am planning to season it with peanut oil using an Ace bottle sprayer.

I know lots of folks use aerosol Pam. I used flax seed oil on a Yoder pellet grill and it smelled really bad for a long time. So I will never use it again on anything other than cast iron to be fired at very high temperatures to cure it.

Anyone see any downside from using peanut oil?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	806183Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	806184

If I remember correctly, anything with a smoke point above 350° works fine. I think that only leaves out safflower oil. Like I said, if I remember correctly. Personally, I use canola and I've never had an odor problem.

Comment

Cook up some greasy old chicken thighs at 400f in a baking tray with water. I don't bother too much with seasoning my pits now. Just use em lots and they take care of themselves.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Take note here as Ahumadora builds pits.

When I got my LSG I did a first burn in @275-300* for about an hour to set the paint. Let it cool than did exactly what you're planning.

Comment

spray it with Pam

Comment

I use peanut oil, after a vigorous cleaning, or new grates.

Comment

I’m with Ahumadora, I don’t bother. Smoke a pork belly or so on high heat and you’re done. 2-3 cooks that’s all the seasoning you’ll ever need.

Comment

I use olive oil and a t-shirt (clean) that I am going to throw away. I have read over and over that you don't need to but it really is fun when you get a new smoker. I will admit, I have always brought them home later in the evening and it's our bonding period.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep , Better that it is a T shirt and not your jockey Y fronts.....

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahumadora - much more material in the T shirt! Hahahaha

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here