Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Watchman Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Watchman Stove

I have put up a few photos of the Watchman Stove on other posts but thought I would start a separate thread for the Watchman on this channel. I wasn't sure what Channel to use but chose this one because in my view this is a miniature log burner!

Here's my Tuesday night cook and a short video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Legs on the Watchman.jpg
Views:	1708
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	797442

Here's the link to the video:

Interesting.

Comment

Are you going to clue us into the tunes?

Comment

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        Soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou? "

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome movie, awesome album. Lots of good bluegrass.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        It was hard to hear, but the first name to pop up in my mind was Gillian Welch, turns out she did work on that soundtrack. Here's something a bit different by her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_nWPxrzmE

That is a great way to spend an evening. I’ll be interested in learning more about this stove as it looks like fun.

Comment

Nice video. Interesting device. Would be great for just my wife and me, maybe for up to 6 eaters.
        BTW, that’s a sexy radio voice you’ve got!

Comment

• Alphonse
          Alphonse commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeap, one of my favorite grills. My wife loves it too. And the chicken is quite good too!

"And ya get some chicken legs outta the deal". Fantastic.

Comment

For those that assembled yourself:
          So it’s $140 difference to weld it yourself and paint vs buy it fully assembled. I’m no welder but I have access to one and I could probably fumble my way through it which wouldn’t be pretty however it would be equally rewarding. But say I didn’t want to weld it myself and I hired a co-worker to do it, how long do you think it would take, aka how much beer should I barter for this service? Then comes the painting with the same line of questioning.

Comment

• Alphonse
            Alphonse commented
            Editing a comment
            The one you see here was assembled and welded in an afternoon. I would add that I have a well-equipped welding shop. The paint is simply high temperature BBQ black applied with a foam roller, 2 coats. The steel was cleaned with mineral spirits and then brushed a rotary brush on a handheld grinder prior to painting.

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Alphonse so the painting sounds like I could do it but the welding takes an afternoon. 4hrs? Hours to beers is a conversion I know how to calculate 👍

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            An 18 pack of beer (no budweiser or coors just good beer)

Here is an older thread that was revived in the last week. It was misplaced in the "electric smokers" channel and lay dormant for about 1 1/2 years before Arsenlael revived it with a comment. I added some photos there as well before starting this thread.

I saw an article on the Watchman grill today, then went to YouTube and watched a couple of videos. I wondered why I've never seen them mentioned here. Did a search, and it appears that

Comment

Dude! I think I need to get this for the sauna!!!

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, ComfortablyNumb, I thought I told you I know nothing about 38's and masks...

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              klflowers ….but I do!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I reserve th right to refuse to comment on either .38s., or masks...

I really like this little stove, but what's new? I really like just about every product I see in this forum.

Comment

I am adding another cook on the little Watchman to this thread.

Here's the Tuesday night cook this week of pork tenderloins roasted on red oak. The meat was rubbed with a light coat of olive oil and then our house mixed simple AP rub.

The little Watchman imparts a fantastic wood roasted flavor to the meat. The flame is far enough below the grill grate you can throttle the cook with the number of splits you put in. Of course you can use whatever seasoned wood you like. I am a fan of red oak, pecan, cherry and hickory. I use a Kindling Cracker to make my splits. My grandfather would have called them stove splinters.

Here's early in the cook this week:

Click image for larger version  Name:	BB ribs starting out I 2 18 20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	562.9 KB ID:	804907

Finishing up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	BB ribs getting close 2 18 20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	804908

Rested and on the board;

Click image for larger version  Name:	on the board.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	804909

Blade applied and ready for the plate:

Click image for larger version  Name:	after the knife.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	804906

Here's a short video of how the little rocket stove cooks it up. I love poking splits and tending fire so this is big fun for me.

Last edited by Alphonse; February 19, 2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                Editing a comment
                Wish we were closer so we could get together and play with your Watchman and my KBQ. I guarantee we'd both have fun. I really, really like this cooker.

Fired up the Watchman to cook ground pork burgers last night. My boss loves grilled stuff off the Watchman and so do I!

I love it when a few sparks come up like miniature bottle rockets.

Name:	Watchman burgers.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	828762

Comment

Tonight's cook on the Watchman!

Name:	PXL_20210113_010032248.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	973201Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210113_011606362.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	973200

Comment

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This thing gets my MCS going more than just about anything else here. I will start wishing.

I've read quite a bit about building what others call a rocket stove. This looks like a version of a rocket stove. They are supposed to be amazing at using small fuel and producing high heat in a focused area. Yours looks very well built. Congratulations.

Comment

I’m still want one! I was suppose to go to a reunion this April just south of where they are made. Plans were to go by their factory on the way back home and pick one up and thus save a lot on shipping. Unfortunately this coincided with everything being cancelled and businesses being shutdown by the virus so that plan went out the window. Hopefully this coming year everything will come together, fingers crossed.

Comment

• Alphonse
                    Alphonse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The freight on the kit is expensive. It weighs 90 pounds or more so it is costly. But what a hoot to build and then fire it up for some fun and food.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here