Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Flow Smoker Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Flow Smoker Question

Hey Pitmasters,
    I just got a new stick burner and its a reverse flow smoker. I have a question..... To make cleanup easier do any of you put foil on the heat plate?

I don't bother. I just just a paint scraper to clean the gunk n grease off.

Comment

I have in the past but lately have been just using the metal paint scraper method Ahumadora mentions. My plate gets hot and the grease can really bake on there near the firebox.

Comment

I have taken to doing most of my cooks in disposable aluminum pans or on disposable aluminum oven trays. That way I don't have to use a garden hose on the smoker to clean it in the winter.

Comment

I use a scraper too to clean out my smoker. Can't be bothered with the foil.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea besides, you'd have to buy stock in Reynolds aluminum to afford enough foil to take care of Rude Boy in the first place Henrik

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, that is true :-)

Paint scraper it is. If I wanna really clean mine after scraping it I'll wipe id down with paper towels.

Comment

scraper? I have a shovel!

Comment

After talking to Ben Lang when buying my smoker, he advised I throw a couple extra logs in the firebox to heat it up a bit before using a water hose to spray it out and clean it out. I've done this every other long cook and it keeps my smoker very clean. Nice steaming effect.

Comment

• Red Man
                Red Man commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve never not been all three! 🤣

• Beefchop
                Beefchop commented
                Editing a comment
                I do this with my Shirley.

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Beefchop Shirley you can’t be serious.

I know. Stop calling you Shirley.
                😂

For me, I just had to come to the conclusion that cooking bbq can be a really greasy business. I tried using foil for a while, but that gets expensive and the grease will get under it anyway. Like all these other guys I scrape it out and use a hose for weekly cooks as the smoker cools down. A couple times a year I'll take a power steamer to it and give it a deep clean.

Comment

Scraper.

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                  Looks like I'm going with the scraper method. I appreciate the wisdom, chuckles and time you took to post.

Comment

I think I missed a very important piece to this question.......... what is your new Pit?!?!?!?! I know you said it’s a reverse flow stick burner, but what kind? Do you have pictures? Either way, congrats on the new cooker!

Comment

Its made by a guy in Detroit that has a welding company and does these on the side. They are fantastic quality. Thick ass steel. I was shocked at the quality. May or may not have jacked the designs from Lang......
                      Attached Files

Comment

• joeyerke
                        joeyerke commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Let me clarify, It's new for me, however its about a year old.

• Ahumadora
                        Ahumadora commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Here's my 2 pesos on your pit. 2 things that would affect how it perfroms. 1./ The firebox lid looks like it is warped and leaking a bit. Use a wood block and a mallet to get it sealing 100% or weld it solid as you already have a door. 2./ Stack is on the anemic side looks like 3". You may have trouble trying to reach high temps 300f +. I would use 4 or 4 1/2" tube and maybe shorten the length a touch.
                        Last edited by Ahumadora; January 29, 2020, 03:01 PM.

• RickyBobby
                        RickyBobby commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing! The best part of a new pit (to me) is learning its quirks and improving your smoke game. I dig the detail of the pig handles on the smoke stack and the firebox vent! Let us know how your first cook goes...... or went.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here