Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Griller Competition Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Griller Competition Smoker

Has anyone tried the Char Griller Competition Smoker. It's an offset smoker like their cheaper models but it has heavier gauge metal for the box and beefed up legs and wheels. I've used a COS before (actually had 2 that basically crumbled after a while) and I miss smoking on a stick burner. I would love a Horizon or Yoder but I just can't bring myself to drop 2 grand on one. I also have 2 GMG's and 2 WSM's which I love. Just would love to be able to smoke with an offset and wondered if anyone has one. Saw it at Menards for $299. Thanks.

It's still a COS and going to have the flaws associated with. Looked at one once and was not impressed.

Comment

It seems VERY similar to my Landmann offset which I bought a few years ago from BJ's. I love mine, particularly after having made a few mods. One thing I don't love about the Chargriller from what I can see, is the top mounted exhaust stack. Mine is mounted on the side of the cook chamber. Also, you said it's "heavier gauge metal" but I can't find anywhere what gauge the steel is on the thing. My Landmann is 16 ga, which is thicker than some COS's but it's nothing to write home about. That said, it looks like a decent smoker for the price. You might also check out the OK Joe Highland or Longhorn. The longhorn is $355 at Menards.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. I'll check those out.

Comment

I had one & with about $600.00 + of rework they do OK but not great

Comment

Certainly no offense intended but my experience with cheap smokers is that they need as much or more money than they cost spent later to attempt to make them work properly. Far better to do your research, find the best you can afford and go with that. Properly selected you will have a much better machine that will do a much better job for you in the long run and likely cost no more than a cheap one with modifications required.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here