Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoker Mod (My First Welding Project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Mod (My First Welding Project)

I finished both rack supports for my removable double rack modification for my COS. My welds are sub par, some badly so, but my number of passably acceptable welds is increasing over time. I did burn thorough the upright square tubing twice, but nothing critical so I just left the holes. On the whole, In pretty pleased with it. I needed to get materials for the did racks - 3/4" angle iron and expanded metal. Maybe this weekend. I have wanted to put in a second rack of some kind practically since the day I bought the smoker, but didn't know how to accomplish it. Now I have.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191115_171320-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	769406

After 2 cooks, all black and covered with grease is anyone going to notice your welds?? Congrats. Job well done.

Comment

If you can't break it by pulling and or pushing on it I call that a good weld.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        That was basically my thought. It's also why I didn't bother trying to fix the burn through holes. They won't affect the performance of the parts.

As long as you got the job done...

Comment

I think you might develop MWS ( multiple welder syndrome )
        Be careful !!!!!
        Last edited by Greygoose; November 15, 2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Thin wall tube can be a psin in the begining but that's how we all learn. You'll be a pro in no time. I see lots of new projects in your future.

Comment

Cool, nicely done. Look forward to seeing it in place in the smoker.

Comment

Good Job David. Have fun with that welder!

Comment

Very nice!

K.

Comment

So I got the next step of my smoker mod done. I finally got the main food grate welded up. I still need to grind down the seams and weld a small piece of angle on the front as a handle, but it's usable, finally.

Name:	IMG_20200223_171154.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	807302

Name:	IMG_20200223_171209.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	807303

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
                    Oakgrovebacon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like that will work great! Oil that new steel and build a fire!

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great job!

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mission accomplished!

Weld Metal Porosity is just collection holes for a more intense seasoning result.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have no clue what you're talking about, Jerod Broussard but it sounds interesting.

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ugly welds hold grease, and season faster, lol.

Finally finished and ready for seasoning! That will probably have to wait until the weekend.

Name:	IMG_20200226_164852.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	808821

Comment

Doubled your cook capacity!

Comment

Not quite doubled I'm afraid. The top shelf is only about two-thirds the depth of the bottom. but I've been wanting a second shelf practically since the day I bought the smoker. Now I finally have it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here