Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Flow Smoker 😬

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Flow Smoker 😬

This popped up on my Facebook Marketplace as a reverse flow smoker for sale. 😬

Not sure what else to say, but... eek!
    Attached Files

Some photos not loading

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      They look good to me (the pictures are there). But, these are a little different. I had to screenshot them off Facebook.

I see spotwelds on the door of the firebox. Is it all that way? How thick is the steel?

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhh, I only uploaded 3 photos. No idea on the thickness. The builder didn’t give much info.

Smoke stack over firebox. Not such a good idea I think.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      But I guess that is reverse flow….?
      Last edited by HawkerXP; November 15, 2019, 07:33 AM.

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      More like no flow!

Is the vent directly over the smoke box? I’ve never seen that before. I would be cautious about the welds as texastweeter pointed out. Three photos only showed up. I know why you wrote "eek"
    Last edited by tbob4; November 13, 2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I only needed 3 photos to show the "eek" factor.

Advertised as "reverse flow". It’s only $995!

Comment

I tried to look at the pics up close to see if there was any way that's reverse flow. If you look closely at the firebox, it does appear to be cut in two. It looks like where you build the fire is half as tall as the whole box on the end. There does look to be a place in the firebox where smoke/heat can enter the cooking chamber. We have no idea if there is a plate under the cooking area. The smoke could go into the cooking chamber and back out the top half of the box to the smoke stack. This is pure speculation on my part looking at the pics as best I could.

I wouldn't bother looking at it unless I knew what the cooking chamber looked like and also how thick the steel is.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like a great place for grease and ash to accumulate and block or start a chimney fire......

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          the smoker equivalent of a flue fire. Ahumadora Hope there is an access hatch to clean it out.

Smoke stack in correct location. Smoke exits firebox into cook chamber, Circulates under, up and over, then back into another chamber on the firebox and exits at the top.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess maybe there’s another chamber above the firebox. I didn’t notice that. Never seen that design though.

but the legs look kinda spindly...must no be a very thick gauge material for body.

Comment

Stay away from it.
          As usual someone who has little experience tries to re invent the wheel with their new design.
          Firebox looks to be 1/8" steel. Not a c.o.s. but a p.o.s smoker.
          Anyone who spot welds a 1/8" thick firebox has no experience building pits.
          Last edited by Ahumadora; November 15, 2019, 03:09 AM.

Comment

It’s efficient. Smoke goes straight up from the firebox and doesn’t have to travel all that way through the cooker.

Comment

I vote no. Spot welds on the part of the cooker that gets the hottest. Bad sign.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here