Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mod for my COS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mod for my COS

My COS is pretty good considering it's a COS. i have burned logs in it and am planning to do so again, starting tomorrow. But, being a COS, out it's highly sensitive to the vagaries of ambient conditions when it comes to holding/maintaining temps in the cooking chamber. In an effort to ameliorate that, I finally undertook a modification I had been planning to do ever since I bought it, which is to insulate the the cook chamber. I used the "double bubble" Reflectix. He's done pics.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191019_130156-01.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	758257 Before modding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191019_143936-01.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	758258Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191019_143947-01.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	758259Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191019_143956-01.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	758260

I'ma little worried about the insulation at the firebox end not holding up to the heat, but I can always remove it. I only have about $25 in materials and a couple of hours of outdoor time in the nice fall weather, so I figure I've got nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

Looks nice, I wonder at what temperature it would melt. Hope it works out, if not, check this out.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      The Reflectix is rated to 180°F but there are quite a few posts on the interwebs from folks who say that they have been using it successfully at regular smoking temps with no apparent degradation. Time will tell.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; October 19, 2019, 06:27 PM.

Put a blinking light on it and your neighbors will think a UFO has landed in your yard!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here