Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the newest member of my family #stickburner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing the newest member of my family #stickburner

Introducing the newest member of my family!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DEBFE830-DFFB-41B2-AC4C-D55F462087E4.jpeg
Views:	403
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	752168

OK, well, not what you were expecting in the first picture! I think I’ve mentioned it in briefing before, but my daughter was born last November, but I don’t think I ever introduced her to the Pit. Here’s a picture of me and my two kiddos (Boy 3 years, Girl 10 months)! They are wonderful kids!

Now the *other* special announcement!

I joined this Pit and got some real bad MCS. Been loving my Kamado Joe and still do. But, I wanted to step it up a little, and get a "little" more space b/c I’ve maxed out my KJ several times, and my wife and I like to host. Plus, I’m sure my son and daughter will want me to have their friends over. Basically, I’m using all justification techniques to talk myself into something like an Aaron Franklin-style smoker.

This thing is 48” in the main cooking chamber with a 24x24 firebox. The cooking chamber is 1/4 inch steel, and the firebox is 3/8 inch. I modeled it after a Franklin-style cooker, except he uses a cylindrical firebox and his might be insulated too. I read his book, and got all the theory from him, and I was hooked. But what really hooked me was I had from Franklin brisket last year and it was sublime.

I found a guy 1 hour north of me (I’m in Charlotte) that is a steel fabricator. He is a magician with his work and has built BBQ pits before. I paid him a visit in-person in January and he totally understood my specs, requirements, and theory. So, my only drawback (what I later figured out) is he’s a terrible communicator. But, his work is phenomenal, so I just dealt with it.

I asked the Pit for some recommendations a while ago on how not to get screwed from a random guy I found on the internet. His policy was easy not to get screwed: no down payment until you pick it up (then pay 100%). Can’t get screwed that way! If he took 1/2 my money, and was a terrible communicator and delivered way too many months late, I’d be ticked. But, I just dealt with it, and just kept my money until it was finished.

Do you like the newest member of my family??

Now, I do have a few questions with offsets specifically:

Do I need to spray it down with hose after each cook (while it’s hot)? What’s the best method for cleaning and maintaining these things?

I put some peanut oil on it, and did a brief burn in this afternoon. I sprayed it out with a hose (while it was hot), and it’s still smoking. I figure I’ll do that one more time before I put some meat on it. Anything else I need to do?

How do you cover your offset smoker? It’s awkward with that smoke stack. Right now, it’s not even a possibility to cover it with a roof. Not even in the garage.

How much do you think this thing weighs?

That’s all folks!
    Attached Files

Beautiful kids. The smoker looks great as well.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Kids are the best part of this post! Smoker is pretty great too!

Show off!

Great crew! Great cooker!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!

Woooooow!!!!! That thing is a beaut!

Congrats.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!

Wow Scott, well done on all accounts! I'm really getting the offset MCS bad lately and this is inspiring.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Glad to inspire! Go for the offset!

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike how’s that Roth doing? 🤣

Love the new grill. Those kids will soon learn to help dad also.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! My father-in-law said, "Little does he know, but he just inherited a smoker." Ha!

Great looking kids and smoker! This has been quite the year!

I would oil it down all over and let that oil burn in by heating the smoker up for a few hours and then let it cook naturally. I would avoid sorting it with water while it is hot as I think the thermal shock could lead to the paint chipping. (I might be wrong in that but that would be one of my concerns.) If you want to clean it out, let it cool a bit then hit it with some water to wash it out.

The high heat from the burn in should get rid of the any residual oil from the manufacturer. So I don’t think washing it out will really remove the residual oil.

After the initial burn in, I would add some more oil then start cooking away. That should really be the only thing you need to do to the body. Make sure to keep the firebox clean, ash is corrosive, especially when mixed with the moisture you will accumulate from the NC humidity. So be sure to keep that firebox cleaned out after you are done cooking.

There are are numerous online stores that will make a cover for you. Or you might want to look at Yoder, LSG, Gator Pits or the like, they may make smokers similar to the dimensions that your smoker is.

As for the weight......it’s hard to tell but I’d say that baby is all of 500 lbs. I know the LSG I was looking at is about the same size and that one is 900 lbs!

Ahumadora would probably be able to help as well. He fabricates some amazing rigs. And he should be able to fill you in on maintenance and the like.

Gorgeous rig and what an addition to the patio!!!

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker is on the money. Keep it clean inside. and wash the outside with soap and water . Make sure to keep it dry. The paint on the firebox will fall off eventually. Theres no real way to keep paint on it with the expansion and contraction. Just hit it with a rattle can of Rustoleum BBQ every 6 months.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spin! I appreciate the advice!

Love the kids, and the stick burner. Now, teach them how to use it while they are young (along with how to mow and how to wash the car) and you can kick back with a cold one and watch them do the work

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Exactly!

Great looking pit and well made. Only thing I see is missing is a grease dam to stop the grease running into the firebox. But otherwise spectacular looking pit.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Never crossed my mind and I never heard of anyone mention that, but it makes sense! Should I just "tilt" it away from the firebox? Any recommendations?

Wow and congrats Scott. That's a great lookin cooker. All you need to do is season the whole cooker inside and out like you would a CI pan. And those kids look like keepers too.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      The kids are the best part! Thanks RonB! I hope to post some offset cooks in the coming weeks (traveling a lot lately).

Looks like you are blessed on all fronts!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      YES! Kids are the best part, for sure!

Wow nice cooker and the kids too. I just got a cover from Covers&All they did a great job I sent them a photo of my grill when I ordered it and they emailed me the marked up photo of dimensions they wanted and got a cover I'm very happy with.
    Here's the post with piictures:
    Purchased a cover from Covers & All in August revived it early this month and finally tried it on this morning. Really happy with the product. I ordered a

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I may have to get a quote from them! I see they have made one for a Yoder Smoker, so I imagine they can do something like mine too!

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      @scotttranda Actually that is a David Klose grill with the cover. You can see the Yoder off to the side uncovered. I bought their cover for it. Fits like yoga pants.

Great looking kids, Scott ... and the children aren’t bad either ... 😎👍 ...

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike!

Congratulations, Brother!
    Thanks fer sharin yer Life with us, that young lady is already a Heartbreaker!!!

Totally Nee-ice new cooker, hope yer knuckles got callouses, cause what I hear is us Stickburners are Knuckle Draggers...

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mr. Bones! I’m looking forward to raising the kids and raising the stickburner!

Awesome all around Scott.
    I’m really excited for you. The best of luck with the kids and more importantly that beautiful new rig. 👍👍😁 Hey what can I say. We’re bbq heads.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here