Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the newest member of my family #stickburner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great looking smoker! I would not use water inside, especially when it’s hot. You’ve done a burn in already, now get some meat in there. I tilt mine to have the grease running fwd. very important, you do NOT want a grease fire. As for cleaning: just use elbow grease. I wipe/scrape off any residue with a plastic spatula (of sorts) after it’s cooled down. While it’s running any fat/juices will melt or stay liquid and run out the grease drain. I keep mine open all the time and put a bucket underneath.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      I would advise opening or closing the grease drain periodically or put a vlave on it and keep it cracked a little. It will draw air from there and not the firebox.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      There will be a large amount of hot air already coming from the many times larger firebox opening, and hot air tends to take the path of least resistance. I don't think the drain will be an issue. Either way, just leave it halfway open, and you're good.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I leave my drains open, whether I'm cookin, or not; helps keep funkiness from growin inside, when idle, an grease fires, when active
      Yuppers to th bucket, as well.

Remember the Kids need just as much attention as the smoker. Clean in warm water with a gentle soap and dry off well☺

Congrats on the offset and wishing you many happy hours tending all your babies.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!! Yes, lots of hours!!

Congrats on all fronts!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!

Great looking family (gotta love having two junior BBQ sous chefs running around!) and that is a beautiful new stick burner!!! Can’t wait to see some of the cooks you do in that rig!
    Last edited by RickyBobby; October 6, 2019, 03:02 PM. Reason: correcting the auto correct induced errors.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!! First cook... chicken this evening! Pictures coming tonight!

PROUD father all the way around !
    I like it

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes!

Thanks for sharing. Big smile on your face tells us you love it. I see a shortage of firewood in NC in the future!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! I’ve been hoarding wood for a while, much to the dismay of my wife! ha!

Good looking family and smoker!

Comment

I won’t post the picture of the chicken (first cook). It was delicious, but didn’t look crispy or appetizing. I’ll continue to work out my birds on the offset. But it was tasty!

I used a charcoal basket for this cook bc I only had smaller pieces of apple wood and couldn’t heat the whole chamber up with that, so kamado joe lump with some apple wood was perfect! I didn’t even ask for a charcoal basket. The pit maker just put one in there for me. It’s quite nice! Custom made!

But I also wanted to share my ingenious method of monitoring temps. I took and old iPhone and a tripod, set it up pointing at the grill and started a periscope session. Then, on my current phone, I could watch the temps! 🤯 works amazing and will be doing that for now on!
      Attached Files

Comment

This is all so awesome scottranda! I've been wondering where you are since not seeing many posts from you in a while. You've been busy. Maybe we should try and have another local "meatup".

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes!! Sorry!! I’ve been very, very busy with work and kids. Traveling to Tampa some too. I would love a meat up, just need to plan it with my travel schedule. I’m thinking Noble Smoke. Same puts used there is made by the guy who made my pit. Maybe November.

That thing is heavy-duty. Nice!

Comment

So how did the wife take naming your baby #stickburner ? Awesome new cooker, as well as children! Congrats on both, and enjoy the cooks.

Just keep the little ones away from the stickburner in use - we don't want them getting burned by touching the outside of the firebox. My Dalmatian many years ago used to hang with me by the grill when I was cooking, then at some point she would walk as far away from the cookers as she could while I was cooking, up against the fence 10 feet away. I figure she tried to get to the meat she was smelling and got burned by the hot grill while I was inside, and learned her lesson... this is the same dog that stole 5 plated ribeyes off the kitchen counter one time when the doorbell rang and I had to answer it. Came back to 5 plates that had salad and baked potato, and a greasy spot in the middle of the kitchen floor. So we ate Dominos, and to add insult to injury, an hour later the dog threw up all the steaks. Ah, good times! Haha.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here