Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.125" tuning plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    OK, reviewed your pics. Standard flow (mine is too), six of one half dozen of the other. The hot smoke still goes from side A to side B, really what's the difference... Once you learn to control your temps how you want, reverse flow or standard flow is all a moot point if you think about it objectively.

You will want some spaces in your plates. Forgive me if you already realize this. Small spaces at first (from firebox) gradually getting larger. Less smoke & heat coming through on hotter side, more on cooler side.

Nice machine!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Pit-for-Brains it's ok I'll move it. Most general questions are fine here, but if yours is specific to stickburners, we can move it to the logs subchannel. I remember reading your post of acquiring that beast, congrats! I'll head over to that post to check it out further...

Leave a comment:

• Pit-for-Brains
    commented on 's reply
    I know I should have put this thread under the stick burner section. I'll get my signature up to date as soon as I get home.I am using them on a Tejas 2040

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Pit-for-Brains View Post
    It is rectangular pieces butted together. They are mostly 7" x 16.75. A few I had to cut more narrow because the shear caught and bent them lol. It is hot rolled steel. I don't think I'll a problem with it warping. I guess I'll just try it out see what happens. All the more fun. Just another reason to fire up the pit!!!!!
    Pit-for-Brains it'll be 1000% better than not having any. Might take a bit of tinkering to see if you need space, and how much, etc. Can you set up your signature to include your gear? That said, what are you using these plates on?

Leave a comment:

• Pit-for-Brains
    replied
    It is rectangular pieces butted together. They are mostly 7" x 16.75. A few I had to cut more narrow because the shear caught and bent them lol. It is hot rolled steel. I don't think I'll a problem with it warping. I guess I'll just try it out see what happens. All the more fun. Just another reason to fire up the pit!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    It depends on its actual use. Are you talking about actual tuning plates, rectangular/square plates spaced out every so often? Or are you talking about a single long formed tuning/heat management plate? Anything will divert the convection (hot air) & smoke toward the far end if used in a reverse flow application. Thicker steel just adds thermal mass and helps prevent temp fluctuations all the more, plus 1/4" is very unlikely to warp at high temps if used in a formed single plate application.

Leave a comment:

• Pit-for-Brains
    replied
    I was kinda wondering if the .25 had something to do with heat conducting. All its doing is basically rerouting the smoke/heat more towards the center right,?

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I think I have that in my cheap offset. It is reverse flow, but still works great. Makes a great platform for a sausage rack.

I know for sure I'm not anywhere close to 1/4", that's for sure.

But 1/8" sounds about right.

Leave a comment:

• Pit-for-Brains
    started a topic .125" tuning plates

.125" tuning plates

I know everyone uses .25" steel for tuning plates. What's your take on .125"? I have access to this from work. I have cut some to size so I can try to tune the Tejas. Would like some input from others. I'm going to try regardless. Any thoughts?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here