Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work horse pits new stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jfmorris NYC Que Huskee Yea the day i posted was the launch of the offset so they updated there website and put a phone number. Next friday they are going to be showing a video of the airflow on the pit and the even temps across the grate with there computational fluid dynamics. NYC Que yeah i was also looking at that 94 gallon mill scale but man thats pricey!!!. Another good thing that Workhorse is charging 325 bucks to ship to California not badd. I talked to Workhorse pits and there will be some more options coming out like a table and better tires and aslo some more options. Is the Welding that badd on the Workhorse pit?? I am going to post a link down below i found on instagram of the weld they did on the pit but not painted looks good to me. Also going to post Harper bbq pits instagram page i might get a pit from them also tell me what you think on there 100-120 gallon pits and pipe pits. Thank you

Weld on the work horse pit

Harper bbq pits

8,441 Followers, 1,862 Following, 211 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Harper Barbecue & Pitworks (@harperbarbecue)

I am going to either choose Workhorse,Harper bbq pits,Lone star grills.
    Last edited by king kielbasa; August 18, 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• NYC Que
      NYC Que commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe that WorkHorse is primarily concerned with building a very efficient and long lasting pits that create great bbq. They’re also selling it at an amazing price point. Now the Mill Scale sure is pretty and polished, but it’s a couple of thousand more for a considerably smaller pit. I’m not sure that it’s worth it. I’m wrestling with the decision of ordering a 1975 from WorkHorse. In the end, which ever of the two that you choose, I think you’ll be very happy.

@king kiebasa I just paid freight $480 for a 650# grill from Houston to California.
    Last edited by ofelles; August 18, 2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Pick the one that is going to make YOU happy. If it is the Workhorse then please give us a detailed review once you get it in action. Good luck whatever you decide.

Comment

king kielbasa as an ex certified welder and 25+ years of experience the welds look fine. If you know how to set up a pulse MIG to weld a pit it is good. (One of the guys that taught me used to TIG weld nuclear containment vessels) so you can't get much higher standard than that. Looks like a good solid pit and from what I see the proportions (stack/firebox/cook chamber) look fine. Look for things like the doors fitting tight is more important. my 2 pesos Argentinos.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahumadora you hit the nail on the head. I've been a CWI ( certified welding inspector) for almost 25 years and from just a visual look from their website the welding looks fine. Just looks like they used a lot more filler metal than most, nothing wrong with that other than it's costing more for them to produce the product. I would like to see the air flow and if they have any leakage around the openings?

Thanks everyone its hard to choose !! NYC Que Did you sign up for the pre order from Work horse?? Also you thinking the one with lin seed oil or powder coat painted? Man i cant make a decision between the 1969 or 1975?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I know from personal experience I never once though 'man I wish I'd have gotten the Cheyenne'...but many times I've thought 'man I wish I'd have gotten the Kingman'. (These are the Yoder equivalents to the small & large smokers, whereas I bought the Wichita, the medium). Point is, you most likely will find a use for the larger one but you can still cook a small amount on the bigger smoker. But hey, it's easy to spend someone else's money!

• NYC Que
          NYC Que commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir, I did. I’m #59 on the list. I have until 9/20 to make a decision or get passed up. If I do buy one, it’ll be the 1975 with Linseed finish.

I really like the way these look. I am not a welder like Ahumadora, but I spent many years working with welders at power plants, and those welds look good to me. I think they are sort of decorative, to add to the rugged look. Anyway, I am not planning on getting a stick burner unless I hit the lottery, but if I do, I would seriously consider these.

Comment

These look pretty cool. If they make good on their promise of even cooking across the grate, I'd say go for it. The 1975 is the same size and price as a Jambo Backyard, but with 3/8" steel instead of 3/16". I don't think the thickness makes much difference, but provides a little more protection from getting banged up and any rust. I do like my insulated firebox, but it would also be nice to have a firebox grill like these have. I love the size of the Jambo, and trust me - get the bigger one. Even at 48" long cook chamber I sometimes wish I had more room.

The cautions I might offer:
          • Make sure the weight is well distributed with respect to the wheels. Even if you don't plan to ever move it once it is in place, you don't want to need a forklift to get it to your back yard. A 3/8" cooker will weigh a ton.
          • Make sure the wheels are solid and the attachment to the legs looks good.
          • The firebox gets incredibly hot during a cook. The expansion of the metal causes two issues in the short and long term - it flakes off the paint and eventually it can overstress the welds. Make sure you have a paint repair option, and if you look at any welds, check out the firebox-to-chamber welds.
          Otherwise, for that much steel it looks like they aren't making a profit, and the shipping costs you listed seem real low to me as well for that heavy of a cooker. If you're itching for it, dive in before they raise the price!

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

Huskee Ahumadora NYC Que PBCDad Looks like these Work horse pits are producing some even temps across the grate and that clean smoke Cant wait to get mine. Check out the link below

Comment

Nice looking pit. Good luck with it. I only see one thing I have to have and that is a front shelf. Does it come with one or can you order one?

Comment

• king kielbasa
              king kielbasa commented
              Editing a comment
              There working on a front shelf right now . I would love one as well

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here