Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rustic Soul reverse flow smoker pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rustic Soul reverse flow smoker pictures

Hi Guys just wanted to throw you an update and some photos of our first ever (of many we hope) reverse flow smoker. Its an exciting time for everyone at Rustic Soul (basically me............ and my 20 month old he seems pretty happy) but never the less we hope you like, I will have more to come in the coming days. But stay tuned as we have quite a few more models of smokers and grills coming out.
    Last edited by rusticsoul; March 17, 2015, 11:52 PM.

Great job rusticsoul ! FYI, 700mm = 27.5" (inches).

I'm not sure if you're open to suggestions, but you may find that your base plate would benefit from being 6mm as well, if possible. Then it can serve a dual purpose- diffuse the heat and smoke over & around, plus act as a heat sink to help regulate even temps and hold heat itself. The more mass the better as a general rule.

Also, one more thing. Are you on a mobile device or a computer? If you're on a computer, can you post your pics using the upload attachment icon (paper with paperclip button)? This allows much larger pics placed inline with the text. Your awesome updates would be great larger!

Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Comment

Thanks huskee the guys who sent the photos only sent small images I'll suss them out tomorrow. So the original plan was 6mm and the guys building it convinced me to go 3mm regretting my desision now. I was thinking it may take to long to heat up and because it was sitting 5 inches above the opening it would be ok. But hey this one's mine the next will be 6mm. Love the advise keep letting me know as I go as I will need all the help I can get. Thanks again

Comment

I like the groove in the reverse plate, similar to the Meadowcreek.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          The Lang also has the groove in the middle of the reverse plate for the grease to run down and out of the hose then into a metal bucket.

Both these guys were a bit of an inspiratoin for I have tried to take the best parts from all the big brands and bring it in to one MEGA smoker of bubantic proportions. I hope I can pull it off. Getting them into the us may be a bit of a long shot though

Comment

I have some more photos for you guys I hope you like. not sure if i like the legs at this stage they look a little to small for me. we were going to put bit sort triangle plates for legs but the took away from the smoker. what do you think square legs or cicular, thicker or thinner.

I also put the overlap for the doors on the inside which i will now change on the next one so the lip is on the outside to stop water going inside and rusting the weld joins.

Comment

These look sweet RS!

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Remind me I need to look up the word "bubantic". =)

And she is nearly done guys. Going to make quite a few mods on our next model. But stay tuned I will have plenty more updates coming.

Comment

Looking GREAT!

Comment

Nice. The guy with Gator Pits would rather install round fireboxes if they are not insulated.

Comment

Looks great! You want to make sure your balance point for your lids is far enough back (speaking mostly about your firebox lid in this case) and/or have counterweights on them to help hold them open so a stiff breeze wont try to shut it on you, busting your fingers or your head when you least expect it.

Many people think counterweights on lids are only for assisting opening them. They actually serve a dual purpose- they help you open the heavy lids yes, but they also help keep them open so there are no injuries with it flopping back shut in the wind. Those lids could take fingers clean off. Or messy off.

My firebox hinge is further back from yours, to move the center of gravity back so it's on the downward side of gravity when it's open. Hopefully you have a stiff hinge here to avoid accidents in that regard.

I like the pull-out grates, mine doesn't have that on the main ones (it does the top one though) and it would be a nice feature for sure.

Can't wait to see it with a snazzy paint job!

Comment

Well that is a really good point I hadnt thought of. But in regards to that, when we built it I didnt like the idea of the hinges we have used. There bloody strong (and the workshop guys thought they would be great but 1. allow a minut amount of water in and 2. it only lets you go so far back with the door. Really good point though about it slamming on you. So I will defianetly change this design on our first sellers, I would love to put counter weights on the doors but it adds a greater cost to our smoker and we are trying to keep the price down on them. But as I have just set up variable products on my website I may add it as an optional extra. Good point Huskee.

Now the paint, its been disaster after disaster, sort of. First we got delivered that zinc stuff, then they sent our other delivery to the wrong state, then my painter, "had to much on" (Fired) ha. So for my first smoker I am going to paint it with VHT cans......... how do you think it will look. very apprehensive about it but dont have a lot of choice. I just really need photos this weekend so I can get my website up and am busy for the next month so it is my only time to paint, take photos and test. How do you think vht matte black cans come out

Comment

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter Have you given any thought on a ash drawer on the bottom of the firebox to allow for easier ash cleanout? I realize it creates potential air infiltration issues but it could also be an easier way to get air under the fire? just thinking out loud... I'm am in love with this unit.

Comment

rusticsoul here's now my Yoder firebox hinges are made. Also notice the 2 o'clock positioning of them, and the style lifts the lid off slightly when it's open, giving more of a sway. It has a heat plate built in to the firebox lid which doubles as a counterweight. It takes some pull to close it for safety. I don't necessarily mean for you to copy this design specifically, but it points you in the direction of what other makers are doing. To be more practical I wish the heat plate was larger. Even a small sauce pan heating up BBQ sauce doesn't sit securely on it. But I've opnly done that a couple times, haven't really needed to use the heat plate much.

(And yes, it's 3 years old and is showing some good rust. Firebox hi-heat paint doesn't last forever )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6995 (2).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	74243

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6996.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	74244

Comment

Huskee you need to get the grinding wheel out and getcha some high temp paint for that fire box

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah I thought about it last year. Then I though how the rust would still be there "next year". Now next year is approaching. I might do it this year. Or "next". Haha.

• DWCowles
                            DWCowles commented
                            Editing a comment
                            When you do get around doing it. Try keeping it oil down with bacon greese. Treat it like you would an iron skillet.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here