Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get a stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get a stick burner

Hey all,

My first post! I’ve really enjoyed reading these forums. I’ve gotten pretty heavy into smoking over the past two or three years. I currently live in Dallas and run a Webber Kettle with the slow-n-sear. It works great . But as happens to us all, I’m starting get the itch for a stick burner. My wife is on board as well, especially since the quality of food keeps improving.

One of my good friends has lone star grillz 24 x 36 horizontal off set. And of course I’m jealous. It really is a thing of beauty. I’ve been reading up on the forums and have found a lot of good info, but I was hoping y’all might give a little buying advice.

I’ll be moving to Dublin, Ohio (just outside of Columbus). I plan on cooking mostly year round. I cook in Dallas rain or shine and even when it’s cold. I would do the same in Ohio. Cookouts have become a regular thing for us, and they seem to be getting popular. I would like to continue the trend in Ohio. So I was leaning towards a bigger smoker. I was planning on getting a 40 ish inch horizontal offset model. But, I’m debating between the 20 inch and 24 inch width models. I like that the 20 inch models don’t need tuning plates and seem to have good air movement, but I wonder if I would regret not having the extra space for our cookouts. I also am not sure whether an upgraded firebox is worth the investment. Will I see a noticeable change in wood consumption during colder months with a 1/2 inch or insulated firebox? I have a toddler running around so the insulated fire box would also be nice to help prevent scalded hands. And does anyone have the vertical offset or warming oven additions. Are they useful/practical?

Price isn't too too much of a concern, but that being said, I don’t want to spend money on expensive upgrades that won’t be useful. Thanks for reading my way too long post!

I have the loaded Yoder Wichita, 20"x40", all 1/4" thick. This is the flip-top firebox, not the flat top stove-like one. I think you may see an improvement in the 1/2" firebox compared to the 1/4", but truthfully how much, and if it would ever justify the cost of it in the wood savings, who knows. My suspicion is no, but alas I have not compared with any side by sides to know for sure. I used to place some 24" wide R-19 & R-30 fiberglass batts over my firebox in some really cold winters, and it did seem to make me get more mileage (but how much?), but the hassle vs the benefit just didn't do anything for me. Once the coal bed is established and the unit is heated thoroughly it only really takes a single 10" long quarter-split log every 20 mins on the cold days anyway, which is quite acceptable to me.

Now on to your question about 20" vs 24": I have read and understand that the larger volume cook chambers are easier to control, and I would have to agree from an intellectual standpoint, although no direct experience myself there either. Plus, going big allows you greater flexibility once it's in your back yard. You can still cook a single rack of ribs on a large cooker. But the larger one allows you the option to cook for a larger party or gathering or to cater someone else's for cash once they come to know you as the local BBQ whiz. Keep that in mind. Try to future-proof your investment. If you can afford the slightly bigger one, I would say go for it. I could not afford the 24" when I was in the market, and about once or twice a year I wish I had the larger one, although 98% of the time what I have is adequate. I can do 3 full sized packers w/o overcrowding, and 9-10 racks of ribs (when using my second tier shelf) with my 40x20.

Comment

Well my friend. You have come to the right place to have people help you spend your money. 😁

Seriously though. LSG’s are incredible rigs. You know that being your friend has one. Also being in Texas the shipping costs won’t be that bad.

I think where you are moving to you won’t "need" an insulated fire box. But it wouldn’t hurt. It will definitely help with wood consumption in the colder weather, but not that much where you’re gonna be. And I don’t think the 1/2” fire box has any benefits at all. As far as your youngin getting their hands on it. Well that would probably only happen once. 😬 They learn fast.

Interesting enough about the tuning plates. I almost never move them around. I found a sweet spot and that’s where they stay. But I always cook things that cook around the same temperature.
      Not like I’m cooking ribs on one side and chicken on the other. Than yes having the ability to move them would be beneficial.

kenrobin can tell you more about the newer 20” cookers they have.

If you have any other questions please reach out.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. I don’t have one but the LSG sure looks tempting. If you are close enough to pick up and save shipping then that would be a big bonus.

Comment

It sure helps to have SWMBO'ed on board. I don't have experience with offset log burners (I have a YS640 pellet). I do know the feel of Yoder stuff and Huskee likes his. I have heard nothing but good about LSG's units. Take a look at the Dave Klose smokers stuff at https://bbqpits.com/ He is in Texas also. I plan on getting his 20x42 Grill Chef Grill later this year.
          Good luck and I'm sure you'll love whatever you get.

Comment

I'm due west of Ohio and experience similar winters. One day this past January I did a cook when it was -30 F on my 48 inch Lang. No problem getting up to temp. The LSG will perform similarly because of the 1/4 inch construction. Everything I've read about Lone Star is positive and I don't think you can go wrong no matter what size you choose. Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

I'll add the single biggest factor in heat loss is not cold air, even -30F as mrteddyprincess mentions--once those stickburners are up to temp they perform great-- but it's rain. You get rain your temps plummet and it becomes a big fight. I'd worry more about a covered area to run your LSG (or whatever you end up with) than upgrading to a 1/2" firebox. But to be clear, I am not saying don't get the 1/2", just that it won't magically make it run like a champ in all circumstances, nor will a reverse flow rig. Learn fire control and keep it out of the rain if you can. Please take those 2 points home if nothing else.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup +1
                I burn a few sticks, now an again...

• mrteddyprincess
                mrteddyprincess commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely. 10 x 10 metal frame canopy. Rural King. $39.

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help with an offset, but generally, get one big enough to do the largest cooks you expect to do - if you can afford it.

Comment

Awesome advice thanks folks. It seems the 1/2 inch fire box may not make a huge difference. I didn’t think about a covered area. I’ll have to see what I have available when we get there.

Steve B I’ve seen kenrobin videos, and honestly those are the biggest reason why I started considering the 24 inchers.

ofelles I’ll definitely check those out!

I'm definitely leaning towards the 24 inch rig right now. I probably won’t be able to get it before we move up unfortunately. Their wait list is pretty long

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s because they are that good. 👍

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea ++2 on the LSG stick burners

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	688952 Here’s what I use. It’s a 9’ umbrella will work great for the rain and snow.
                Don’t mind the pergola. That’s just my setup.

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice set up.
                  Head over to Walmart and grab a coupla cheapo golf or beach umbrella's when they're on sale. Your going to ruin it anyway so don't pay full pop.
                  I duct tape umbrella's to hanging plant stands when it rains.
                  Rain with a lotta wind can be trying.
                  Snow....smow, Bulleit bourbon, maybe a hoodie you'll be fine.

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks smokin fool It’s only part of my set up. But my pride and joys. 👍👍

I'm actually been in a remarkably similar situation lately and have been looking at the 24x48 LSG. I compared a whole bunch, LSG, Gator Pit, Horizon, Lang, Yoder, Pitmaker, Pits by JJ, Klose, Shirley...there were a few others I compared that I can't remember off the top of my head. Ultimately I decided on LSG because of the quality of their builds combined with "included" features. Another factor was the reviews by people here in the Pit (namely @Troutman) and elsewhere. I like the "feel" you get from Chris Goodlander in his videos talking about his work and what not.

To go from 20" to 24" doesn't seem like much, but what really convinced me was the clearance on your top shelf. If you never plan on using the top shelf it's no problem but from the research I've done that extra two inches really makes a big difference up there.

Keep us posted on what you decide on! I'm on the fence about buying the door counterweight but honestly...I think it looks so cool!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If that's a single door 24" that door's gonna weigh in jus shy of fitty pounds, by my calculations...
                  Me, I'd git th counterweight!
                  Jus sayin...

• JakeT
                  JakeT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sold!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  An fwiw, I've never found myself lookin around, furtively, an wishin I had less cookin space...
                  (Also, fergot to calculate in th additional weight of th door flange, so fitty pounds plus, easy...

I can only speak to my experience with my stick burner, which is a Jambo (make sure they are on your list to consider, they are used by most of the top competition winners).

An insulated firebox doesn't reduce by too much the frequency of when I have to add wood, but it is very consistent all year round. I've heard that Jambos cook well in the rain because of it as well, but mine is covered so I can't say for sure. The biggest thing I've noticed with the insulated firebox is that it takes a fairly small piece of wood to keep it going, and that wood burns down all the way to a tiny bit of ash while still maintaining temperature. However, it still gets plenty hot, just probably not enough to warrant an ER trip or anything. You still have to keep kids away, though my toddler had been really good if I tell him something is hot.

The smallest Jambo is a 24x48, which is what I have, and I wouldn't want any smaller. My wife has pulled me in to cook for a few events, and you use up that space real quick. For reference, I could probably fit 8-10 pork shoulders squeezed in (6 comfortably) or 6 briskets (4 comfortably), but I'd have to rotate the one right next to the fire box. I often cook for neighbors when I cook for us too, so again I use up all the space. Go as big as you can afford.

Whichever smoker you get in the class you are looking at, as long as you're prepared to load the wood all day, you are going to be so happy. I look forward to every time I get to use mine.

Comment

Personally, size of the firebox is more important than thickness. You want enough room to get a nicely burning fire. If this were my money...I’d buy a KBQ!

Comment

I will relay what Ritch from Gator said about an insulated fire box when I asked about one on a 40x24 inch cooker. An insulated fire box would be overkill on a pit this size. The fire would get too hot.

As far as the 1/2" firebox is concerned, I cannot offer much value. I couldn't justify the cost personally. I put that money toward a 24" diameter instead.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

Hello fellow pitmasters, thanks for all your advice. Just wanted provide an update for y'all.

I just placed the order for the 20x42 horizontal offset from LSG! In the end, the new design won me over. After reading Franklin's book, the improved airflow and even temps without tuning plates was a big plus. The entire design seems very well thought out and quite refined. The top rack in my friend's 24" is somewhat limited by the round shape. Whereas, the top rack in the 20" looks to have a whole heck of a lot of clearance. Part of me was wishing for a warming oven, but the extra cash needed to upgrade to the 24 inch didn't seem worth it. Plus, maybe now I can justify my next purchase to the wife, though it'll be awhile!

Oh and just to add, the 1/2 inch or insulated firebox wasn't an option. However, from everything y'all have said, and from the numerous videos and posts I've reviewed, that upgrade isn't at all needed for this size pit.

I'll be sure to post a pic once it arrives, maybe in 6-8 weeks per the website and my online chat session.
                      Last edited by sarredon; June 17, 2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here