Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New bbq pit prototype design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bbq pit prototype design

Finally got to test my new design thats been rolling around in my head until now. Down draught. There is a hole in the midplate where heat from the fire enters at the top and moves down to the entrance of the smoke stack. This is just a rough proto type we knocked up to test. I made a few changes through out the day. Looking to make a lower cost log burner. Let me know your thoughts. It my own design before someone claims it as theirs. @max_good
    tossed on a small chicken and was cooked in an hour.
    Attached Files

Very interesting concept!

Comment

Very unique ideas there. Several questions. What are the temperature variations going to be like from firebox side to chimmey side? Are you thinking about splitting the door so you can get access just to the firebox?

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope not going to split the door. It is going to be a parrilla and bbq ppit in 1 . I tossed some old bread buns in there to see the heat difference and was vvery even in the toasting. Thats about as scientic as I got today. It is at a small shop that is doing some work for me.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to hear. I am very interested in your design because of its possible use as a parrilla and as a smoker. Saw that possibilty right away. I think you are on to something here.

I'm really likin this, an thank ya fer includin us along, on yer Maiden Voyage!
      It'll be big fun, to see what th production models end up like...
      Much Respect, from here on th Prairie, Brother!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like mebbe ya have it set up to be a griddle, or plancha, as well??? Cool Beans!
        Ahumadora

Very cool idea. Not sure I fully understand, however, wow.
      Will be watching with anticipation as you continue on this adventure.

Sweaty Paul

Comment

Very unique spin, keep going I’m watching with interest.

Comment

• Gunderich_1
          Gunderich_1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree 100%. Please keep us posted!

Very cool. I think ya got this.

Comment

You build this youself or did the shop you were talking about put it together? If so was it from scratch? How thick is the steel? I do like the lowered smoke pipe!

Comment

3/16" Steel on this model. This is a prototype we quickly knocked together. Waiting on parts from the plasma cutter at the moment. Not quite from scratch. ( I cheated I bought the steel instead of going out and mining the Iron ore myself). Getting old and lazy I guess...

Comment

if it doesn't test out even, maybe built a tuning plate for the top to even out heat.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Worked fine the other day. Had some old bread in there and it toasted even across the grates. Making a few changes and simplifying the design and going to make another one to test.

the lower the stack the more heat the CC will hold in it. That is the main reason people started putting the stack right at the cook grate. Also the wider the smoke collecter is the more even the heat is in the CC cause it draws the air from the full width of the cooker instead of just straight through the middle of the CC.

Comment

Originally posted by dcrumrine View Post
                the lower the stack the more heat the CC will hold in it. That is the main reason people started putting the stack right at the cook grate. Also the wider the smoke collecter is the more even the heat is in the CC cause it draws the air from the full width of the cooker instead of just straight through the middle of the CC.
                My Yoder has the stack (narrow collector) up level with the top grate, and I gotta say, it's pretty even temps. Personally I'm not a believer that it has to be lower and wider. FWIW.

Comment

add a griddle on top.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here