Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the-"what-cha-ma-call-it"-on-a-stick-burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "what-cha-ma-call-it" on a stick burner

What do you call the "elbow" of the exhaust pipe that leads into the cooking chamber? Exhaust manifold? Is there a better term?

It looks like more than an "elbow". You take the steel out in a rectangular shape which then collects the smoke and draws it up the exhaust stack. Do you call it a "smoke collector triangulation"?

What-you-ma-call-it?

And what do you pitmasters think? Necessary? Nice to have?

(Yes, that is Aaron Franklin in the picture from his book)
    Attached Files

Just put a welding blanket over it and don't worry 'bout it.

Comment

Look for a post called My Rebuild by crude4u I think he called it a smoke collector. I ran across it last night.

Comment

You’re thinking too much into this Scott. 😁
        If anything it would be called an exhaust flue.
        As RonB said don’t worry bout it.

Comment

Collector box.

Comment

In the automotive world it would be a manifold.

Comment

The other genres collecting effluent to spew out and maintain peak center-line operating temperatures are rather mature in their respective development life-cycles, as is their nomenclature. It's a recent development in smoking to think about the smoking chamber volume of a particular cooker in relation to the fuel source, the fuel basket size, the amount of heated gases and particulate that must be efficiently expelled for a given temperature, the structure of the convergent / divergent collector, and the volume of the proper chimney as driven by gaseous pressure, therefore needing a precise diameter and length, and the ability to fine tune the characteristics and variables in play due to such factors as weather and humidity.

This is not a watch-you-ma-call-it. This is science. It's the size of the outlet in the body of the cooker that drives the structure of the thing-a-ma-jiggy that uses a joey to connect it to the chimney base via a doo-hickey.

Let's get serious folks, this is BBQ.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's the thingamabob that connects the do-jobber to the whatsit.

I call it a manifold and is used to help maintain mose consistent temps in the pit and move the flow of heat lower down , reducing hot spots.
              Attached Files

Comment

Expansion chamber, lol.

Comment

Flux capacitor :-)

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1. Hahahahaha

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dang it! You beat me to it!

I've changed my mind, I think it's called a polytetrahedron. I say that because a connected set of regular tetrahedra is the 3-dimensional analogue of a polyiamond. Polytetrahedra and polyiamonds are related as polycubes are to polyominoes. The only real issue that bothers me is what kind Mr. Franklin prefers because there exists two topologically distinct polytetrahedra, each made up of four intersecting triangles.

(I have no earthly idea what I just said, I think a being took over my brain. Can someone please translate?)

Comment

Troutman I love polyominoes

Click image for larger version

Name:	I love cookies too.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	659058

oops - OREos - never mind.

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
                      Johnny Big Time commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just got back from the grocery store and couldn't find her anywhere...damn!!

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      DANG!!! I'll take those Oreos any day !!!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here