Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grate Cleaning Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power washer for me and then a high heat sear. Wipe with oil to prevent rust afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bighorn Dave View Post
      When we purchased our MAK 2 Star directly from the factory in Dallas Oregon, I recall their BBQ Guru Bruce mentioning soaking grates and flame zone in a solution to assist in the cleaning process. I don't recall exactly what that solution is but if anyone here knows, that may be worth a try. I've sent a request to MAK Grills asking if they can jar my memory. If they do I'll share their recommendation here. I think it had something to do with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and hot water but ???? Though I'd mention it in case it jarred someones memory.
      Well in case it is of interest I did get a response back from MAK Grills. Here is a copy paste of that email response.

Hello Dave,
      I believe the solution you are referring to is Hot water and ammonia. Ammonia is a excellent degreaser and very inexpensive. Can usually get either a half gallon or gallon at your local dollar store. I used this in a galvanized tub to soak all my internal parts (grates, flame zone pan, grease tray, etc.) while I clean the exterior of my grill. Hope this is what you were looking for. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Dennis Ogg

MAK Grills

Sales & Service Associate

503-623-1234

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent. Thanks!

If you time it right just leave it out in the grass during the next rain storm. it will amaze you.

Comment

Cheef Its probably not the rain and grass that clean it. It's probably the neighborhood dogs, raccoons, and ants.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Or FireMan 's neighbour....

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb You got that right. Sounds like FireMan 's neighbor runs a foundry instead of a BBQ pit. Nothing left on his grates. 😏

To clean my various grill grates I will, on a hot sunny day, spray them with oven cleaner and let them soak for awhile in the sun and then power wash them.

Comment

I hit mine with a wire brush before and after cooking. Keeps em clean enough for me! I also scrape the flakes off the lid as needed. Oh...handling raw chicken and not washing your hands with soap is so gross 🤢🤮

Comment

Maintaining the Grates: Amazon and WalMart carry wooden grill scraper 'blanks'. The teeth of the scraper get burned in as you use it, it becomes customized to your grate, and it doesn't damage it.
            • Image result for wooden grill scraper

Comment

Also as an aside, this definitely isn't necessary every time, but when you want a deep clean, say at the beginning of the season or after a really big cook, there's a really great cleaner called CitruSolve. (I think it may have come up in a previous thread somewhere.) Completely citrus based so there's nothing super harsh going on like in an oven cleaner, and it cuts through grease like you would not believe. And it smells nice! But trust me if this stuff can't get it off, it's not coming off. Magical stuff and it's completely food safe. As I say definitely not your everyday cleaner (unless you cut it, which you can) but for more intense cleaning it is spectacular.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Good point on the citrus based cleaners. I too use them all the time and they work well I asked a fellow who cleans restaurant hood systems for a living what to use and that is what he suggested.

• adamcoe
                adamcoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah it's magic stuff...there was some other thread some of the folks and I were talking about it. My first job as a teen was in a butcher shop and we used it to clean dried up beef blood off of tile floor. You can dilute it (quite a bit!) for an everyday cleaner, or use it straight up if you have...well, beef blood or something truly nasty to clean. Really nice to have something so powerful that you also don't have to worry about burning your eyeballs out or rinsing it down a drain.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here