Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sandblasting como loco! (Like crazy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandblasting como loco! (Like crazy)

Sandblaster showed up and started blasting on the mass of pits we have ready. His worker just used clear gas welding googles and an old t shirt over his face for protection. No sleeves or gloves. Dude must have skin like a pig. Only in Argentina!. They have a couple more days work ahead of them still.
    Attached Files

Whenever I get down there I am just going to camp out in front of your place.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers Not sure thats such a good idea. A lot of gunfire around my neighborhood. Luckily most of it is coming from my place

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll make sure and call first

Wow!! Thanks for the awesome photos. I found a source of LP tanks close to me if I ever decide to try my hand at building one. It looks like fun.

How thick is the metal on those old tanks? Just curious.

Rhett

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Bet its heavy, probably 0.174". Not sure propane tanks down there get to .25"

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Tanks vary between 3/16-or 1/4" wall. Tank heads can be up to 1/2 " thick. Steel is expensive here (note we are sandblasting and reusing the I and U beam for the trailer chassis that came out of an old building.

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that info Ahumadora I like the stabilization legs you have on that big tank. You should add a hydraulic system for the legs and you could add a small hydraulic crane to lift whole hogs for the pit. Don't just think big, think huge.

Those look great! My dad had an old steel pontoon boat years ago that required frequent sand blasting and repainting. He knew a guy who had the sandblasting equipment and would let us use it. So satisfying to blast away all that rust and corrosion.

Comment

I’ll take one of the small ones so you”ll have more space in yer bedroom. Looks like a blast! 🕶

Comment

Those photos were a - um - blast.

Comment

Thought this appropriate. Click image for larger version

Name:	CF073D90-572D-43C0-960F-D82ABC0E97E5.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	646616

Comment

Really cool Craig. I’d love to cook on one of those compact smokers you got going on there. 👊👊

Comment

There's a company that makes dry ice here in PE and the main use for the ice is sandblasting. Guess you can't call it sand anyways they come to you and is mostly used by the auto manufacturers these parts.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                That's very interesting. I suppose they woudln't need a mask?

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee haven't Seen it in action I buy ice for keeping things cold but shouldn't imagine they would need to .

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                You still have all the paint and crap flying around in the air that you would not want to breathe.

What's Spanish for sandblasting?

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Arenado

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahumadora So, "arenado como loco"? Won't get me far if I'm kidnapped and end up on the streets of Buenos Aires or Mexico City or anywhere in between...but at least I know a phrase.

I’m curious: where/how do you find the cylinders for the food chamber? Do you roll sheet metal
              or do you buy those from construction sites?

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Old gas tanks.. I am recycling old tanks and turning them into animal recyclers! Would cost a fortune to roll tanks like this.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, I figured. Thanks!

Day 2, Good to see the sandblaster wearing all the correct protective gear. Blasted and painted 10 250 and 500 gallon pits today. Didn't get to finish painting 2 on the trailer before a big storm hit. They are inside now, so will paint them tomorrow.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ahumadora; March 7, 2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Crocs are still the finest safety boots.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                holehogg Ya dang near made coffee shoot outta my nose, Brother!

What are you going to do with all those?

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Hopefully sell them. Problem is, the economy here is a disaster.

Them are some DAMN AWESOME smokers! I like the idea of a flange/manifold on the exhaust stack. And reverse flow

I did a quick search and could not find them. Is there any other info available on those smokers?

Probably too expensive to ship.
              Last edited by lostclusters; March 9, 2019, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here