Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood stove cooking. I know it's been done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood stove cooking. I know it's been done.

As I sit in my great room being warmed by our wood stove during the Indiana winters I often catch a whiff of the smoke and wonder how can I smoke meat and cook food on the wood stove while enjoying my recliner. Any suggestions would be welcome by me and we will have to see what my wife thinks later.
    Attached Files

The wood stoves that you bake in, like where my father grew up in east Tennessee (no indoor plumbing or electricity) had a separate baking compartment, from where you put the wood to burn. Some of the old ones I saw had the baking compartment to the side of the fire. Here's a modern version, with an oven below the fire:

The Vermont Bun Baker combines the essential functions of a classic wood stove and cookstove in one compact, attractive package. Its extremely versatile design enables you to effectively heat a large area (up to 700 sq ft) and cook your family's meals with one unique stove. Cooktop is designed to handle up to 4 large saucepans or pots, with 2 removable rings for wok cooking Use the bottom oven (with included thermometer) to cook everything from crispy fresh bread to succulent roasts Cast iron doors have stay-cool spring handles and large ceramic glass viewing areas Overall dimensions 32-1/2H x 21-1/2W x 21-1/2D 385 lb Made in Australia The Vermont Bun Baker is exempt from EPA regulations. Note: This item requires a custom freight quote and is excluded from all free shipping promotions. It will ship by semi truck to a freight terminal near your home. If you have any questions or would like further details, please give us a call at (330) 857-5757 ext. 3600 or email [email protected] . We are also able to ship all venting and piping needs as well. Download free product literature (current as of June 2021 and subject to change without notice): Owner's manual

You can probably rig up some food grate in front of the wood, just inside the door, but I think it will be way too hot to smoke anything unless you use small logs and are able to keep them at the very back of the burn chamber, and keep the fire small. That's what I do in my offset basically - the fire is to the side of the food, and below it, with the exhaust on the other end.

Comment

Here's another one where the firebox and baking box are side by side, more like what I have seen in antique stoves.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/bake...od-cookstoves/

I don't think in these that the smoke goes through the baking chamber. No one wants a smokey cake or loaf of bread.

I know you are not looking to bake, but smoke. I just got off on a tangent thinking about how these old stoves worked. I think you can cook something inside there with the fire. But it will be harder to control than a true smoker.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        There was something kind of like that left in my Great-Grandmother's house that my Mom and I moved into after she passed on. My Grandmother said she did a lot of baking with it, including angel food cakes. I can't imagine . . .

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Murdy I cannot imagine either! Your oven temp was based on size of the fire, and I doubt they had any clue what temperature they were baking at. Your great-grandmother and mine probably just had to open the oven and check a lot while baking.

Thank you. That is what I have been thinking as well. While I could cook in it with small coals in the back I probably won't be spending much time in my recliner.

Comment

Great lookin stove. Takes me back to when I was a kid for my grandmother. Very cool! 🕶

Comment

I say get a nice cast iron Dutch oven and make some nice meals in that on top of your wood burning stove.

Comment

I see quite a few of the old school antique wood cooking stoves on Craigs List. Been tempted a time or two to install one in the garage and learn to cook on it. Homeowners insurance company doesn't like the idea much.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              What! With your good record with wood burning devices never having to file a claim! LoL! I expect to see you on that insurance company commercial. "Wood burning smoker involved in a hit and run? Yup, covered that!"

• Frozen Smoke
              Frozen Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point HawkerXP I should be on the commercial except I got Progressive not the one that does those commercials!

• johnmcq4
              johnmcq4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine was installed by the previous owners around 1980 right in our great room. My insurance agents have frowned a bit but it didn't cost me more that I'm aware of.
              It keeps us nice and warm and the kettle ads some humidity, but the smell of smoke makes me want to throw some meat in it, or as jfmorris suggested at least put a Dutch oven on it.

I can't help, but I do have fond memories of my aunt cookin' on a wood stove when I was a kid.

Comment

Just wait, I'm sure Mr. Bones has one or two in his backyard.

Comment

My great grandmother had an electric stove that the family installed for her in the late 60's. I never saw her using it. She preferred her wood burning stove/oven and used it every day. Great memories of her and her fire management skills, cooking on a Sunday when the whole family came for dinner at noon. Chicken and dumplings, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, green beans, and lemon meringue pie!

Comment

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My husband used to deliver fresh-killed rabbit to his Aunt Lily in trade for her bread pudding. Aunt Lily also had an electric stove and a wood stove in her kitchen and used them both. This time of year, if I was Aunt Lily, I'd have that cook stove hummin'.

For yoks! https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/cider-cured-ham

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No nitrates and cold smoked, that's going to raise some eyebrows!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here