Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M1 smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the looks of those grills.

Comment

I've been eyeing one of these for awhile and would like to know more about it. Have you thought about writing a full review?

I also have a few specific questions:

- Searing, how close can you get the charcoal to the upper grilling grate? I am in the camp that views grill marks as "wasted opportunity", most of the videos on the M youtube channel show pronounced grill marks (using grill grates) I am wondering can you get this close enough to the charcoal to get nice even browning? Also can you roast santa maria style with the lid open?

- Smoking, I am used to either a big green egg or a pellet smoker that can smoke all night with little attention. How do you do long overnight cooks (brisket, pork butts) with this burning logs, i.e. how often do you have to get up and throw a log on or manage the fire? I see that it can be used with a controller but do you have to add logs often enough that you can't go to sleep, or does the controller feature only work if burning lump? If the latter, will a basket of lump go all night?

- Logs - does this fit full length logs or do you have to cut them in half? If they have to be cut in half, this is probably a stupid question but how do you cut it in half (I've used an ax to split wood, but never cut in half length wise), or do you have a source for smaller logs or what?

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        great questions, I am following. I also have a BGE large and while I have learned how to use it well(I think) and have all the accessories including a bbq guru . Its just too dang small, everything has to be fitted onto that grill like I'm playing Tetris.
        So I keep going back and forth between the M1 and a lone star grillz, and even a pellet cooker like the Memphis .

how does it compare to your Komado cooker in the picture. I have a BGE large and was considering it but I want to be sure it offers considerable more cooking room. thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here