Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stick Burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick Burners

As some of you know I own a stick burner and that's what I do 99% of my cooks on. I have notice that most of you on this forum cook with a PBC or a pellet smoker which I don't own either and don't plan on it no time soon. My point is I would like to see more posts and pics of the ones that own a stick burner besides me and Huskee. The PBCers and peller cookers share info with each other so why can't us stick burners do the same? We can learn from each other like the PBCers and pellet cookers do. I hope the PBCers or the pellet cookers don't take this post wrong. I have nothing against neither But because I don't own either one of them it doesn't benefit me at all. So for those on this forum that cooks with a stick burner why can't we post pics of our cooks and learn from each other?
    Last edited by DWCowles; February 13, 2015, 05:15 PM.

Yeah there isn't a whole lot on here, I assume most of em can't get time away from burning logs to update I'd like to see some setups for people who have them in like a residential neighborhood, seems like they would take up way too much space in my backyard. There are a lot of cooks I would like to do on a stick burner, but they all seem to be the size of a sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      Yeah there isn't a whole lot on here, I assume most of em can't get time away from burning logs to update I'd like to see some setups for people who have them in like a residential neighborhood, seems like they would take up way too much space in my backyard. There are a lot of cooks I would like to do on a stick burner, but they all seem to be the size of a sedan.
      John when I'm cooking on the Lang I don't stay there with it all the time. Yes I do have to throw a log or two in every 30-45 mins but again it's a stick burner. As for the size they come in all sizes so I'm sure a person can find the right size to fit in their back yard.

Comment

Dang right DWC. All these knob & barrel folk are pushing us off to the sidelines, lol

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL...It's time to push back Huskee

DW, nice post.
        I am looking forward to learning how to cook on a stick burner and am currently getting together materials for building a reverse flow stick burner made out of a 3/16 thick 80 gallon air tank approx. 24" x 48".
        It is going to have a double wall 1/4" thick fire box insulated with 1"Ceramic Fiber Insulation (Michigan weather this weekend 4 degrees)
        I have a few questions for you, what do you like and dislike about your Lang?
        Do you wish for any options you do not have?
        Do you use the warming box option much?
        I was thinking of having a hinged lid on the top of the fire box with a grate to use as a grill like the lone Star Grillz' LSG 24''x48'' has with possibly having a small removable warming box to attach on top if needed.(maybe to hold a couple steam table pans)
        Any thoughts or ideas from you or others experiences would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks, Dean

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          One thing I really like about the Yoder and Horizon offsets is the hinged flip-top firebox, so you can use the firebox as a charcoal/wood grill. You can also get them with a cooking chamber charcoal grate to use the big chamber as a huge grill. You get a lot of versatility with stickburners depending on how they're constructed.

Originally posted by Powersmoke_80 View Post
        DW, nice post.
        I am looking forward to learning how to cook on a stick burner and am currently getting together materials for building a reverse flow stick burner made out of a 3/16 thick 80 gallon air tank approx. 24" x 48".
        It is going to have a double wall 1/4" thick fire box insulated with 1"Ceramic Fiber Insulation (Michigan weather this weekend 4 degrees)
        I have a few questions for you, what do you like and dislike about your Lang?
        Do you wish for any options you do not have?
        Do you use the warming box option much?
        I was thinking of having a hinged lid on the top of the fire box with a grate to use as a grill like the lone Star Grillz' LSG 24''x48'' has with possibly having a small removable warming box to attach on top if needed.(maybe to hold a couple steam table pans)
        Any thoughts or ideas from you or others experiences would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks, Dean

PowerSmoke I like everything about my Lang and have no dislikes. I do use the warming box some to cook beans and other side dishes. Sometimes I do wish that I had a charcoal grill attach to it. But other than that I'm very happy with it. Don't forget to post pics of your stick burner when you get it built.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do on the pics!
          Currently doing a lot of homework since i would prefer to do it right the first time.

Someone sends me a $3,000+ stick burner, I will BURN UP this forum with pics!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto!

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          So, I should buy three of them and give the other two to you guys???

We need to start a fundraiser for Jerod's stick burner. I want The Pit burning with pics!

Comment

DWC I'd love to have a stick burner but my deck is covered and twenty feet in the air. Not conducive to a 1000 lb smoking monster. Maybe one day I'll add a Pit Boss test kitchen to the basement and have a stick burner in the back yard. Hey, I can dream!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You just need to move Dave. If where you live is hampering your true abilities, perhaps an adjustment is in order!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Besides, my loaded 1/4" offset only weights around 600lbs. Backyard models w/o the fancy trailer and cart weigh much less.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Wife said the last house was our last house. SWMBO has spoken. lol

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
          DWC I'd love to have a stick burner but my deck is covered and twenty feet in the air. Not conducive to a 1000 lb smoking monster. Maybe one day I'll add a Pit Boss test kitchen to the basement and have a stick burner in the back yard. Hey, I can dream!
          Dave, we all dream. Those that don't are dead!!

I am closer to my dream "Stick Burner". I just need to decide whether to get the patio model or the trailer mounted one. I am leaning towards the trailer mounted one as they are heavy and it would make moving easier. I am like Dave in that my outdoor kitchen is on my second story deck. Even though this is relatively small for a Lang it is heavy. The patio model weighs in at about 1400 lbs and the trailer model weighs even more so it will stay on the ground in the back yard. I will have to do some designing of where to put it and how I want the area around it to blend in. I am excited about this project. The trailer model makes it easy to take it to the car wash to clean.

I am shooting for September this year.

Last edited by Marauderer; February 14, 2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was there last Monday the wife stayed in the truck and when i came back she said she could see that I really liked what I was looking at and she gave me a green light to get it. In fact she didn't understand why I didn't go in and pay for it while I was there. Nice!!

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Love It!!!

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            That's one sweet rig that should cover all of your cooking bases. Good luck!

I'm not trying to talk anyone in getting a stick burner. I'm asking the members of this forum that have a stick burner to share pics and info of their cooks.

Comment

• Ray
            Ray commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right! The pics and info are the real value of this community.....been very helpful to me.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh you were not trying to talk us into a stick burner?!! DWCowles OH!! LOL!!

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
          I'm not trying to talk anyone in getting a stick burner. I'm asking the members of this forum that have a stick burner to share pics and info of their cooks.
          You can fool me DW, you are selling the "Stick Burner" concept! And a great job you are doing.

Comment

It is interesting how so many of us value authentic recipes and ingredients (homemade mayo, grinding your own peppers to make homemade chili powder, grinding wheat to make our own bread, etc) yet to many the thought of burning firewood to smoke our food tends to evoke images of cavemen and painstaking work. Sitting around a bonfire with your friends and family telling stories or playing guitar and laughing is fun fun fun. No one thinks of tossing wood on every half hour as work, but instead, relaxation.

Burning logs for smoking is just that- stoking a bonfire inside a stove of sorts. But it is the most authentic way of preparing your food there is, aside from a hole in the ground or sticks aimed over a bonfire. The flavor is as real as it gets, and the experience is rewarding in a way you don't know until you do it and see. You don't need electricity, you don't need fans (but a BBQ Dragon is helpful on still days I'll admit that), you don't need thermostats. Aside from your thermometer you just need a lighter and a pile of wood.

The downside is they are expensive, expect to pay $1,000-2500 for a decent backyard model, plenty more for a trailer model. But they are a delight to own a run!

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful words, man... beautiful.

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee, you stated " (but a BBQ Dragon is helpful on still days I'll admit that)".
              Is there something to get it to draw properly so that is not needed?
              As in adjusting dampers on firebox or chimney or is the BBQ Dragon easier like a pellet grill ?LOL!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              @Powersmoke_80 sorry for the delay in replying...

It needs a good burning fire to draw air properly, fire & heat is the engine that makes it all work and sometimes if your wood isn't the best you just struggle getting the fire rip roaring. And when there's a still day (little to no wind) to fan the flames, I find the BBQ Dragon is a lifesaver. I never use it when the fire's going good, it's just for starting or for when I have to add some fresh wood. I usually try to preburn a lot of my wood so that when adding it takes off quick, but sometimes I run out or am just too lazy.

Huskee said "yet to many the thought of burning firewood to smoke our food tends to evoke images of cavemen and painstaking work".

Hhmmmm, Cave Men!! Will I have to wear clothing made out of animal skins when I get mine?

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you implying I'm the only one wearing this??

Ummmm.... Cavemen have learned to dress to fit the times... just sayin'
            Click image for larger version

Name:	GEICO-CAVEMAN.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	62164

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here