Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going whole hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going whole hog

Excuse the pun… This has become either an exciting new business venture or a very expensive hobby. With all the encouragement from friends/family, the recent response at my local butcher shop, and feeling good about my short ribs, I've taken that next step towards running my own catering business. I talked with my welder recently and he drew up plans that include a reverse flow smoking chamber, warmer box, gas starter for the offset firebox, 3-sink wash compartment, food prep table, and storage space. He just told me today he found a 5' x 30" tank that's 1/4" steel. Wow, that sounds big, haha.

I've got a quarter cord of Oak just sitting here ever since I bought that cheap Brinkmann… We're finally gonna burn some logs!
    Last edited by eugenek; February 9, 2015, 03:09 AM.

Very cool! And you're going into it with the right mindset. Love what you do, if it makes money, even better.

Can't wait to see where this journey takes you Sir.

Comment

Interested to see how it works out, sounds like it is all going well.

Comment

Follow that dream! You have our full support and attention. Please keep us posted. You are doing something that many of us here are only dreaming of doing.....We will live vicariously through you. All the best! Make sure you take pictures!

Comment

Congrats and best wishes, Eugene, on your new venture. May you become the most sought-after caterer in SoCal.

Kathryn

Comment

Best of luck, cant wait to see pictures of the completed rig!

Comment

That's great. If I were still in L.A., I'd come be your BBQ sous chef

Comment

Sounds fascinating, Eugene. Keep us posted on the progress.

​DEW

Comment

Excellent. Let us know when you next fire up.

Comment

Nice Eugene!! Best of luck

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the warm support!

Comment

You go Eugene!!

Comment

I'd like to get some more info on the warming box and opinions on what's the best way to transfer heat/smoke to it. Here are a few questions in my mind:

1) Can the temperature of the warming box be vastly different from the smoking chamber, say if I wanted to use it as an oven for my vegetables during the cook?
                          2) Can I control the amount of smoke that travels to the warming box? In the example above, I wouldn't want any smoke flavor but only the heat that rises from the firebox.

I've seen a version of the Meadow Creek TS250 that separates the connection between the smoking chamber and the warming box, and instead connects straight from the firebox. It's like you have an offset smoker and an upright smoker all in one. It doesn't really prevent smoke, but it seems like you'd be able to control the heat better. Does anyone have any experience with a solution like this?

Here are a few pics of it borrowed from the seriousbbqs.com website:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1443.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	61236

Name:	IMG_1440.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	61235

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	61234

Name:	IMG_1442.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	61233

Comment

• Beefchop
                            Beefchop commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I had a chance to check some of these out at the BBQ outlet in New Holland, PA, when were visiting family for Christmas. They make some nice smokers, but they are pricey! I'd say they are pricey even when compared to an expensive offset given the steel thicknesses. I was specifically looking at the Pig Roasters, but saw the TS series offsets and the vertical smoker on display. I hear that some dealers are going to raise prices on their MC product line soon.

• eugenek
                            eugenek commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Very cool BC, is it true they're made by Amish craftsmen over there in Pennsylvania?

• Beefchop
                            Beefchop commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's true. I wasn't at the manufacturing facility but they had some Amish (or maybe they were plain Mennonites) at the store. That area of the country has a lot of Amish and Mennonite families living there...

I am in love with that smoker! I wish you the best in your design too, and your new endeavor, you really seem to have the heart and enthusiasm for it. But I could only speculate same as you as far as running the warming box on that. I would love a couple days to play with it and find out!

Comment

Kudos, Eugene!!! Sounds like an exciting journey that you're on. Given your high aspirations, have you considered converting an Airstream into a combo cooker/catering trailer? May have some possibilities.....not that I've thought about that myself, of course...let us know how this thing develops for you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here