Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burn barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn barrel?

Has anyone ever used a barrel with rebar to burn wood in? The idea is the burnt wood turns to coals & it falls to the bottom, then you scoop it up with a shovel & put it in your smoker, either in the firebox or right below the food grates. There’s a bbq joint here in Texas that does that, according to a video I saw. Just wonder what the flavor profile would be like. Anyone ever tried it?

Thanks
    -Mark

I use one to feed my Lang often when my wood supply is vast. Makes for a nice clean blue smoke and provides consistent temperature. If u use this method exclusively, it may take away from a heavy smoke flavor if that’s what you’re after. Hope this helps!

Comment

This would be awesome. I am going to do this at some point.

Comment

Hell yeah man, it’s especially nice this time of year with the cooler weather. Nice roaring fire in the barrel and a rolling pit? Can’t ask for better!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Kids doing it while you watch from indoors at the computer with hot cocoa???

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard - you the Man!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Rotflmao!!!!

You're basically making homemade lump charcoal. Probably the absolute best way if you want to be a purist.

Comment

Would it make for easier temp control? My leaky offset is giving me fits.

Comment

I would say yes. But you do need a good supply of seasoned wood.

Comment

Yes, with my WSM. I just removed the bottom section and placed it on blocks and shoveled coals under - some guys do this with those homemade hog smokers made of concrete blocks. Fun, but time consuming!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool (hot!) idea, Brother!

I'd love to see some pics of this setup, when ya might have th time to post em...

• Beefchop
                Beefchop commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones I thought of posting this...maybe I'll do it this weekend as a project and will post it here!!!

3 posts & there all here! Welcome CoryS20, ya have been with us awhile & by the sounds of things you are eatin good. Have fun!

Comment

Time consuming... I have a KBQ. That thing is the definition of time consuming. If I have to shovel coals every 30 minutes instead of poking my kbq firebox every 5 minutes, I’m good

I’m going to give it a try. Found some positive comments on another forum. I’ll report back. Thanks!

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
                Yes, with my WSM. I just removed the bottom section and placed it on blocks and shoveled coals under - some guys do this with those homemade hog smokers made of concrete blocks. Fun, but time consuming!

Comment

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ls1m Well there you go. I personally enjoy cooking this way, and if I could convince my wife to build a monstrosity of a cement block cooker in our backyard then I'd do a whole lamb this way...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here