Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oooops 😬

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooops 😬

It’s not even my fence! I get to fix my neighbor’s! Soft conditions due to rain and an unsteady base! 😬
    Attached Files

Ouch! You just found the reason why I hate these cheap, metal wood racks. They fall over or apart, and usually it is which ever is worse. Sorry to see this.

After this happened to me, years ago, I decided wood or polypallets are the way to go. It keeps the wood off the ground. I drive T-posts into the ground on the end of the pallets. Those don't anywhere and they hold the stack tight and upright. Plus, you can stack at least two rows of wood on the pallets and have room to spare. (Assuming you use standard, 4x4x4 pallets.)

Also, tell your neighbor to get a real fence.

Best of luck with the clean up man. ​

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Back breaking cleanup! But, it’s done! I could blame the cheap rack, but I’m going to blame myself for this one. Not a totally stable base. At least that’s what I’m going with until this one falls over again! I put it in a different part of the yard whereby it can’t do any more damage!

Ouch! That stinks ...

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Stinks and my back is hurting! Oh well! The things we do...

Wonder what he cremates on that gasser over there? Here’s your chance to introduce a new member !!!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      It seems he goes through one gasser per year. He just buys and dumps annually. I hardly see him use it anyway.

Make them a little q as a peace offering.

Comment

• Bumby
      Bumby commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea!

Bum deal. Great excuse for a better wood rack...

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I may if this one falls over again!

Hopefully that plastic fence will just snap back together for you.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Almost! The base cracked, but everything else should snap back in! But, now I got to find the manufacturer!

Sorry this happened. I feel for your neighbor too. It looks like he only has one cooker--sad.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      He almost never uses it, and buys a new one every year. Buys and dumps annually. That’s the sad part!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      scottranda you need to educate him about good cookers. Then you can inherit his discards every year!

Scott ... it may be too late but if you set a paver down for each leg of your rack to rest on, you'll pretty much eliminate the chances of it tipping over due to soft soil conditions.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually did do this. There was a retaining wall I wanted all along to get rid of. So, I got a few of those paver bricks and put it under. Feels stable enough so far! I’m hoping it won’t tip again! I worked like a dog today! I’m exhausted!

Find a better place you WOOD'nt want that to happen again.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! If it tips, it’ll just fall into my yard, not my neighbor’s yard through a fence! They were nice about it though! Thank goodness!

If only the base plate cracked (or even if a few panels did), I had to repair mine last year after the wife paid some teen to do my yard while I was deployed. Young dude killed my fence with the weed whacker.

Fix is surprisingly simple.

1. Spray foam (for cracked panels), sand down. If no missing pieces or puncture holes skip to next step
    2. Sandable Bondo, yep! Put it on the damaged areas over the spray foam and skim it as close as you can get it. Sand the next day
    3. They make a perfect match spray paint for the 3 most popular vinyl colors

You have to look VERY close to see where I made the repairs around the house. It was so effective I even patched up some of our vinyl siding too.

Comment

ItsAllGoneToTheDogs there’s no spray foaming this! But, besides, I’d maybe try it with my own fence, but this is my neighbor’s who wouldn’t want a patch job! Can’t blame them!
      Attached Files

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you could still fix that, but I agree as a neighbor that's a bit much for a patch job The next problem will be the pieces slide into the post instead of metal brackets, might be a bit of effort to get the new base slat in place. Hope it's easier than it looks

I had a Eucalyptus Weed - oh wait, those are trees - right on the property line. SQUASHED my neighbor's shed, with a limb. I know - it's painful.

Time to find out how much your neighbor loves Q!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here