Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good mid-size stick burner for the money, won't break the bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good mid-size stick burner for the money, won't break the bank

I have have a Lang 48, love the cooker but I find that I am starting to cook enough meat at times that I am surpassing the capacity of this smoker. My Hunsakers and BGE are great for competition and a quick fire up(Great Flavors coming off of both), but I need to be able to pull 200lbs + meat at a time a few times a year. I would love a LANG 60 or 84, but just can't justify the expense without running a side business out of it, so I have been looking at other models. HBT, FMD (GreasyHill), Black Warriors and Chuck Wagons. I feel like I may of stepped in the middle of a war between a few of these makers, (like a partnership gone bad) but I just really want a good cooker for a decent price. Some of my requirements are - Offset, Reverse Flow, Trailer Model and Rib Box but the rib box is not a 100% must. Looking for some outside opinions from users of any of these smokers, the goods and bads.

Thanks

Not much help here, but figured this post could use a bump. I had never heard of most of these until I did some searching. Just by looks and brief descriptions I think I would lean toward the Chuckwagon smokers out of those you list. Several of the others are using treadplate metal which might be fine, but doesn't give it a clean look. Maybe I'm just too picky. The chuckwagon also was the only one that had any metal thicker than 1/4in based on my limited reading. It wasn't much thicker than that and depending on where they used the thicker metal, it might or might not be useful, but at least one of the others were in the 1/8in range which won't hold heat as well and might rust out. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. What is your price target? That might help.

Comment

What do you know about the quality and functionality of those cookers you listed? If it were my money then I'd sell my 48" and would upgrade to the 60" model. You're far enough from Georgia where you should be able to find a local buyer willing to give you a good chunk of your money back (assuming your cooker is in good shape) just to save on shipping. I'd use that money to finance a Lang 60. Sounds like you have other smokers for smaller batches of Q, so what you really want is the larger capacity that the 60 offers (as Ben Lang describes it, big enough to cook cases of meat but not so big that you feel guilty firing it up on the weekend for some chicken and ribs). The difference should be the same amount you'd pay for one of those other cookers you listed. But I'm conservative and would stick to tried and true designs from fabricators I know and trust (not knocking those models you listed, I've just never heard of them.) I'd also suggest Shirley because the value for money is excellent, it's a reverse flow, and the design is innovative with the cabinet style chambers and warming boxes. However, the wait times right now are over a year and you have to arrange your own shipping. Good luck.

Comment

isu006 I have done a lot of research. I would check out Meadowcreek. I don't have one yet but it is next on my list. Not sure how close to St. Louis you are but they have a dealer there. I'm originally from the Effingham area buy the way. I intend to get a Meadowcreek pig cooker as my next (and hopefully final) big smoker. I have PBC's and Weber's which work fine but I really like the Meadowcreek design. You can pretty much find what you need there. I don't think there prices are too bad but that's just me. You get what you pay for. They are made in PA. They also have a couple of models that are on the gold list if you check out the smokers section. Check out the link below. They have a lot to choose from. Good luck!

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/blog/...m=email&ut m_campaign=ribs_sausage_chicken_big_black

Comment

• aladdin4d
          aladdin4d commented
          Editing a comment
          I take it you mean the St Louis BBQ Store? I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw a PR60 going out the door. It's a nice looking cooker! Supposedly they just got in over 20 different Yoder models today so I might have to make another trip this weekend just to see what they're like.

You might want to consider this little jewel, you can pick it up in Houston for a paltry $50k

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D545CBC-32F8-428C-8014-2113A865B62F.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	583446

Comment

Seriously though isu006, take a look at Lone Star Grillz down here in Houston....

Lone Star Grillz

By the way, did you go to Illinois State (ISU in your handle?)?? In another lifetime I spent a few years in Champaign at Illinois and then in Macomb at Western.

Comment

• isu006
            isu006 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep I am a IL State Alum and just 30 mins from there and about 40 mins from Champaign

Ended up buying a HBT 72” Deluxe model? Now whar to do with my Lang?

Comment

What model of 48 is it?
            deluxe?
            trailer?
            etc...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here