Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading to an Offset, need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to an Offset, need some help!

Hey Guys-

I'm looking to upgrade to a true stick burner. I currently have a 18 WSM and llove it but looking for more cooking space. I live in NJ and was hoping there were some good custom brands here and I just haven't found them yet! Lol .I'm thinking of reverse flow over traditional. Seems to be a nice benefit, do you all agree? Looking for a decent size to do a full piglet or maybe even pig if the opportunity arose (like the lang 46). Looking for high quality with thick gauge steel, great welds and tight fits. So after that long winded intro, can people recommend some brands and why? I started looking at lang and lone star. Thank you in advance!!

I am on the waiting list for a 48 in Lang. Give me a few months and I'll be able to tell you about my satisfaction. I'm not much help to you now.

Comment

I wouldn't get stuck on the reverse flow. Lotta great pits without reverse flow that cook as well as anything. I myself don't care for the tuning plates on some non-reverse flow pits. I prefer something that has the intake like a Jambo and how Aaron Franklin builds his pits. The new Lone Star pits are tuning-plateless.

Comment

I had a Lang 36 and loved it.. I let it go after I bought my dream smoker Engelbrecht 1000.. There are so many brands out there that do well.. However, you cannot go wrong with Lang.
        So many variables too...
        1. You want just a smoker or combo cooker?
        2. What's your budget?
        3. Have you seen this? https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...grills-smokers

If money is no object then go Jambo, or Kalamazoo (next on my list one day) https://kalamazoogourmet.com/

There are a few Lang'ers here..

Not to mention that you can take a cheaper offset and modify the heck out of it to perform well.. Too many variables..

Last edited by Timcee; October 20, 2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I was trying to stay within the 2000-2500 range and the Lang 48 patio version seemed to fit the bill the best. Not looking for a combo, just a smoker but wanted some nice space to do some piglets for family events.

Mrteddy, how long is the wait for the 48?

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            4 weeks.

• mrteddyprincess
            Editing a comment
            $500 delivery from GA to Indy. Can't afford the 12 hr two way trip for that.

• mrteddyprincess
            Editing a comment
            The Lang came this week. Seasoned it on Wednesday. Did a dry run tonight just to play with the fire box and managing temps. So far I've done two cooks to see if I could keep steady temps. One at 325 F and tonight at 275 F. I get about 1.5 hrs of hold time with no change to the vents. After about 1.5 hrs it needs more wood. So much more efficient than my old COS. Planning a cook on Sunday.

Thanks Tim .are the lone stars that much better for the higher price tag?

Comment

Tony7781 My friend. You have come to the right place for this question. Yes I will say the LSG’s are well worth their price tag. I’m not knocking Lang or any other custom offset. But owning one I can absolutely attest to their quality and workmanship.
          Now you say you’re in NJ. Where about. I’m in Rockland County NY. If you’re close enough to come over and see mine I’ll be more than willing to let you check it out. If not please feel free to ask any questions you may have. You can ask here or PM me.
          I know kenrobin recently got their new style offset. He may also be able to give you some insight on these awesome cookers. Also Spinaker has seen mine and may want to chime in on these bad boys.
          Keep us posted and let us know what route you take. The first pic Is mine at their facility. Click image for larger version

Name:	F08EDB04-DC50-4ADC-8C73-519191EC1842.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	581847Click image for larger version

Name:	50E3D50D-7373-4955-81BE-4E1934168EEB.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	581848

Comment

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            Tony7781 I bought LSG's new 20x42 model this year & I have no regrets. I haven't tried to smoke a pig yet, but I've heard that it could handle a small pig up to 50 pounds. Chris Goodlander at LSG could confirm.

I've made a few videos about my experience with the pit. Feel free to check my channel if you're still interested.
            Last edited by kenrobin; October 21, 2018, 11:22 PM.

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve, I am also in Central NJ and I am curious what its like to smoke during our colder months. Have you had experience in Jan. Feb ? also how does it do during rain or snow?
            I have been wanting something with more capacity than our LG BGE and performer. My two concerns are weather, and I have no experience with fire management of a stick burner, any thoughts appreciated

Although I love Steve B ‘s LSG offset, their new cross-flow models are the bomb. Cooking chamber is squared off instead of round so greater capacity for the same size. They also boast even temperatures across the cook chamber. Do yourself a favor and at least check them out. Great pit makers.

Lone Star Grillz can be your one stop shop for buying the best quality BBQ smokers and grills. Reach us for all types of standard and custom options in budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
            Tony7781 My friend. You have come to the right place for this question. Yes I will say the LSG’s are well worth their price tag. I’m not knocking Lang or any other custom offset. But owning one I can absolutely attest to their quality and workmanship.
            Now you say you’re in NJ. Where about. I’m in Rockland County NY. If you’re close enough to come over and see mine I’ll be more than willing to let you check it out. If not please feel free to ask any questions you may have. You can ask here or PM me.
            I know kenrobin recently got their new style offset. He may also be able to give you some insight on these awesome cookers. Also Spinaker has seen mine and may want to chime in on these bad boys.
            Keep us posted and let us know what route you take. The first pic Is mine at their facility. Click image for larger version

Name:	F08EDB04-DC50-4ADC-8C73-519191EC1842.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	581847Click image for larger version

Name:	50E3D50D-7373-4955-81BE-4E1934168EEB.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	581848
            Thanks Steve, ii really appreciate that, its really helpful! She is a beaut! What size is that? How long have you had it? I was actually totally sold on an LSG but then I came across a thread while doing research where alot of people were talking about something with the size or placement of the fire box damper causing an issue with allowing for a proper airflow which made it difficult keeping a consistent temp? Have you ever heard of or experienced that? It was specific to the model I was looking at, which if I can remember correctly was 24x48. I'm in Middletown, I'll leave the general area but I think might be a little far.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry Tony I didn’t get back sooner. Mine is the 24x36.
              Once I got through the learning curve, which every cooker has one, I have no problems keeping temps where I want them. What I do do is generally use the firebox door as my damper. Keep the vent wide open and open or close the door to adjust air flow. Got that tip from @DWCowles
              Yeah Middletown is a bit of a hike. Any more questions just ask

I just checked their site. Those new 20" models do look pretty sweet, I have to do some research on those bad boys now!!

Comment

If your looking to do long even cooks I can attest to owning many offset cookers from various manufactures over 30 years and can honestly say from experience that offset cookers can and will get the job done. Having said that I just finished building my reverse flow offset out of a propane tank and quarter inch plate steel. It was designed around a Lang Smoker. To put it in perspective. You can buy an electric white oven at Lowes and cook food in it, you can also buy a middle range convection oven and cook in it... makes pretty good food! But if you want the best of all worlds buy a Viking Convection and you will see the difference in how and what kind of results you get. To that point, after BBQ' ing on a reverse flow smoker for the past several months....not one with tuning plates, I mean a sealed reverse flow I now understand the Viking Stove concept fully and can fully attest with honesty that a true reverse smoker will produce superior results time and time again. Would not sell or trade this BBQ'ing oven for anything ....absolutely the best device I have used in 40 or 50 years of cooking outdoors and produces a superior product. What the expert Mr. Franklin is not saying about his Primo brisket is that when you cook on a 1000 or 2000 gallon tank cooker your oven temps will be moderated from one end to the other due to shear volume of air space. On a small, say, 48 inch offset you will have very high heat temps close to your firebox and much lower temps at the other end where the stack is. A reverse flow smoker solves this problem with physics by using the same principle as your great granny's wood stove. If you remove the round plate or burner with the cast iron handle and open up the wood stove she used in the 1800's you will see the same heavy plate of steel below the burner covers.

This is not rocket science or a new discovery and will definitely put your smoked products at the top. I would not denigrate any ones products or methods because everyone has a personal preference of what they like. But I will state affirmatively that you can see and taste the results of a reverse flow over other methods. Yes I am biased but also extremely experienced!

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a great write up. In my opinion is is quite OK to be biased when you have the experience you have. I spent many years modifying cheap offsets to get them to my liking. I would love to cook side by side on a Yoder and Lang and Steve B 's Lonestar

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                tbob4 That would be a great time and comparison. Too bad these cookers aren’t very portable.

Thank you all for your help, I think I'm going to go with the 48" Lang. I emailed them for a shipping quote. Do you think it makes sense to add another themometer on the top right to get a more accurate reading of the top rack temp?

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                No. Even though I have 3 on my LSG. They really don’t tell you what’s going on at the grate level. Top or bottom. Using digital thermometers is the best way to go.
                Good luck with your soon to be new rig. 👊

Sounds like you have made your decision but I will throw a few things out there for food for thought. I have been a long time stick burner. I have owned two trailer rigs and one patio model. The patio model was made by a local fab company but now out of business. The one trailer rig was from Arizona BBQ Outfitters and was a vertical smoker with a large Santa Maria grill. I sold that one earlier this year. The trailer rig I use now is a custom one off build done by a very talented fabricator in Texas who sadly passed in the last year.

One thing they all had in common and any stick burner I ever get in the future will have is a top loading fire box. A door on top for loading wood and stirring coals and a door on the side for ash removal. Saves from having to bend over or even work from your knees to tend the fire. Also having sliding vents on all 3 sides of the firebox is a big advantage on those warm humid days and there is little to no breeze it can draw oxygen from all sides or catch the slightest breeze from any direction.

There are other must haves but they apply to trailer rigs and since you're not looking into those I won't bother to mention them. Good luck with your Lang I'm not a reverse flow guy but I hear they are pretty top shelf.

Comment

I've never cooked on another offset and I know the ones mentioned are great quality. I just feel obligated to state my admiration of my Jambo Backyard. It is not reverse flow, but I get even temps across the grate and it is an extremely finely built smoker. I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 48, since I now end up filling it with food for the neighbors too.

Welcome to the wonderful world of stick burning!

Comment

Hmmmm, a 48... (Angels Singin)

Comin Soon, to a Firebase near me...(Fantasy??)

(actually, have a 60 in mind; we'll see how it plays out..)

Enjoy yer Suh-Weet New Cooker, Tony7781 !!!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr. Bones, What The H--L Bones❓ You GONNA SMOKE THE
                    WORLD CUZZ‼️❓‼️
                    Your Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, "CUZZ"❗️, Dan

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What about that sucker you just won? Don't that cook enuff for ya?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here