Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading to an Offset, need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    What about that sucker you just won? Don't that cook enuff for ya?

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by richleelv View Post
    QUESTION: has anyone mounted a small slow fan to simulate a convection chamber. I guess similar to Traeger grills, It sounds like a pretty good idea, but where would you put it...
    There was a discussion about this very question a couple of years ago. Not sure how far it got but here's where it all started:

Leave a comment:

• Timcee
    commented on 's reply
    So many little guys that do great work too...

ON AND ON AND ON

• Tony7781
    replied
    Can the warmer box be used to smoke jerky and fish at lower temps? I wasnt looking to get the warmer box but was just thinking it might be easier to use for jerky then the main cooking area. Also, if your only cooking one rack of ribs or a smaller amount of food, you can probably just make it in the box vs the main pit?
    Last edited by Tony7781; October 28, 2018, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tony7781
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for this info! im not back to the drawing board as Im checking out the MC and Gator pis! This is not an easy decision!

• Timcee
    commented on 's reply
    That does sound like a good idea but also like what a Cyber-Q, Digi-Q, etc does.. I have a pellet and while it is set and forget the flavor profile isn't the same as using the wood... I would imagine that when it comes to the end product you're the one teasing..

• richleelv
    replied

I have a trailer mounted off-set grill. Lots of modifications, buffers, internal temperature, lowered chimney, etc. Way better than it used to be. QUESTION: has anyone mounted a small slow fan to simulate a convection chamber. I guess similar to Traeger grills, It sounds like a pretty good idea, but where would you put it...Both my sons-in-law have Traegers and tease me constantly. I'm kinda old school and just can't get my head around pellets.

Leave a comment:

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    As far as therms in the door go as mentioned they may be accurate for the temp right at the door. 1just have gotten to know that when my door therm is reading 200 my pit is running right around 250 which is where I usually run things at. So they serve their purpose in that sense. I'm not a gadget guy and don't like wires coming out of the smoker and probes hanging in the smoker and sticking out of the meat. I use to stick a analog oven therm in the pit and watch that but I've gotten away from using them even. Get to know your pit and don't rely on gadgets to do things for you. I use a Thermapen for checking meat. Mostly briskets, pork butts, turkey breasts etc. I never probe ribs I just know when they are done.

As mentioned reverse flows are designed to run even heat across the length of the pit which is all right. I prefer the tuning plate standard offset. I can run the exhaust end 50 degrees hotter than the fire box end or make it run pretty close to even. I like the flexibility. I can run chicken or sides hotter on one end around 300 and keep my ribs at 250 or so on the other. You just have to know how you want your tuning plates set up before you get things hot.

Leave a comment:

• Beefchop
    replied
    Lang, Meadow Creek, Johnson BBQ, and Shirley all make reverse flow designs. Of these MC is closest to you. They actually have a dealer in NJ. I have a custom reverse flow made by Shirley manufacturing and I love it. The baffle plate that directs the airflow acts as a hot griddle that adds sizzle and smoke flavor when the drippings hit it. The only downside is that it is welded in and you can't remove it, so you get what you get temp wise. While the temp is pretty consistent through the cook chamber the spot near the fire box runs a little hotter, and I can create zones by drafting through the warming box. I picked this design mainly because I could draft through the warming cabinet (main chamber is 275 and the cabinet is 225), cook directly or indirectly in the warming cabinet (they make a baffle that shuts of heat to the main chamber) or draft through the cook chamber and use the warming chamber simply to heat sides, sauce or pre-heat the firewood. If I didn't have the special cabinet design from Shirley then I would have gone with a traditional offset with tuning plates. You can always use the plates to create an even temp cook chamber if you are cooking a bunch of the same cuts, or you can pull the plates and cook with different heat zones in your cook chamber. I.e. chicken hot and fast close to the fire box with ribs and shoulders at the other end. Some guys like this because they cook different meats in the chamber. For traditional offsets, check out Gator Pits in Texas, or Peoria Custom Cookers in Indiana (further north). Horizon and Yoder offsets are easy to find regardless of where you live. You can get Horizon smokers at Bass Pro.
    Last edited by Beefchop; October 22, 2018, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lock Stock and Barrel
    replied
    You asked about the round glass stick thermometers that you install on the lid or through the smoke chamber. If you research this forum you will conclude that they are heat indicators and not thermometers. I installed one on mine in case we have an EMP and my digital probes do not work. To say that they are inaccurate and slow to respond would be an understatement. I consider them genuine made in China junk. I spent around $18.00 just to have one on the pit so you can say it looks complete. Does not even come close to accurate and since pit temps fluctuate constantly it never reads within 10 or 20 degrees due to slow response times. I have bought what I consider "test" thermometers from various manufactures. Cheap was the main intent so I could test this equipment before spending $200 or $300.00 dollars for my final wish list. I was at the grocery store and found a $13.00 Taylor digital thermometer with 3 foot probe for the oven. I also bought a $29.00 Maverick HD32 probe that has 1 3 foot probe. Cooked 5 or six cooks on them. Found them very accurate but problematic.

Taylor probe got sprayed with water and began to mess up bad after 2 uses. Probe wire is so short I fight trying to keep the digital indicator away from the pit heat. I let the probe go through 2 or 3 more longs cooks and it now functions good. You must keep the indicators these in a plastic baggie if it rains. Also, it the digital part fell into my grease bucket while I was eating. Had to take apart and wipe. Still works though!

The Maverick has a transmitter that transmits temperatures to a receiver you bring in to the house, easy setup, problem is it does not transmit through walls and windows very well at all. Constantly holding this unit up in the air high to get a read on the pit. For under $30.00 it was a steal.

Finally, after using the to cheapo probes through all my cooks I decided that "biting the bullet" was in order and I bought a Flame Boss 400 Temperature fan regulator with 2 probes, one for the grate temp and one for meat. I will be posting the results of my first cook with it soon. It was $219.00 and I find it worth the time saving and fuel savings that it produced on my first cook. Will want to try another cook before school's out on it.

Good luck with your Lang! I would like to know how she performs on 12 hour cooks.

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones, What The H--L Bones❓ You GONNA SMOKE THE
    WORLD CUZZ‼️❓‼️
    Your Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, "CUZZ"❗️, Dan

• kenrobin
    commented on 's reply
    Tony7781 I bought LSG's new 20x42 model this year & I have no regrets. I haven't tried to smoke a pig yet, but I've heard that it could handle a small pig up to 50 pounds. Chris Goodlander at LSG could confirm.

I've made a few videos about my experience with the pit. Feel free to check my channel if you're still interested.
    Last edited by kenrobin; October 21, 2018, 11:22 PM.

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Hmmmm, a 48... (Angels Singin)

Comin Soon, to a Firebase near me...(Fantasy??)

(actually, have a 60 in mind; we'll see how it plays out..)

Enjoy yer Suh-Weet New Cooker, Tony7781 !!!

Leave a comment:

• PBCDad
    replied
    I've never cooked on another offset and I know the ones mentioned are great quality. I just feel obligated to state my admiration of my Jambo Backyard. It is not reverse flow, but I get even temps across the grate and it is an extremely finely built smoker. I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 48, since I now end up filling it with food for the neighbors too.

Welcome to the wonderful world of stick burning!

Leave a comment:

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    Sounds like you have made your decision but I will throw a few things out there for food for thought. I have been a long time stick burner. I have owned two trailer rigs and one patio model. The patio model was made by a local fab company but now out of business. The one trailer rig was from Arizona BBQ Outfitters and was a vertical smoker with a large Santa Maria grill. I sold that one earlier this year. The trailer rig I use now is a custom one off build done by a very talented fabricator in Texas who sadly passed in the last year.

One thing they all had in common and any stick burner I ever get in the future will have is a top loading fire box. A door on top for loading wood and stirring coals and a door on the side for ash removal. Saves from having to bend over or even work from your knees to tend the fire. Also having sliding vents on all 3 sides of the firebox is a big advantage on those warm humid days and there is little to no breeze it can draw oxygen from all sides or catch the slightest breeze from any direction.

There are other must haves but they apply to trailer rigs and since you're not looking into those I won't bother to mention them. Good luck with your Lang I'm not a reverse flow guy but I hear they are pretty top shelf.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here