Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mold in the Offset!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mold in the Offset!

Imagine my chagrin to discover a serious mold infestation in my offset which developed after I closwd it up tight followi g my last cook in June. I've read MH's article on how to deal with it, but wondered if anybody has thoughts or information on how hot I should get it and for how long?

I would fire it up and run it for at least one hour. As long as you keep the food chamber temp above 225° F that will effectively kill of any germs in there.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup...fire it up !!!!

Just get it to glow, and you'll be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
      I closwd it up tight followi g my last cook in June.
      I think I see the problem. Cook more often! And maybe don't close it up too tight after the next cook.

Comment

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        This.

I've never had mold in my offset (or any other grill or cooker) and I cook year round, even when I was up north.

Run it hot and let the fire work it's magic. Maybe collect the mold first, put a little rub on it and see what kind of bark it develops.

Comment

pressure wash it then a hot fire to kill any leftovers.

Comment

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow

Love it!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Here's to the Borderlands descendants among us!

Mold in your BBQ grill is a common problem. Learn how to quickly and safely remove mold that has built up on your grill grates or elsewhere in your grill or smoker. We also show you how to prevent mold from building up in your cooker in the first place.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here