Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting on stick burning this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    replied
    I'm gonna have a Weber Smokey Joe for a firebox, to move embers in and out.

Burgers are more family friendly, since wife and daughter like white meat only. (Have I established who the picky eaters in the family are? ;-)) I want to demonstrate minimal competence to myself before venturing out into low and slow!
    Excellent plan with the Weber. White meat bone in split breast could be pretty awesome. Just take them off when they hit 160F. My picky eaters gobble it down.

Leave a comment:

• dprice
    commented on 's reply
    The thought of 12" sticks, which fit my cooker well, seemed appealing as opposed to firewood that was 16-18" and unevenly split. And pecan was an easy choice -- it's what I've always used, lighter than hickory, and seemingly perfect for everything. We'll see. I'll be sure to let you all know.

• dprice
    commented on 's reply
    I'm gonna have a Weber Smokey Joe for a firebox, to move embers in and out.

Burgers are more family friendly, since wife and daughter like white meat only. (Have I established who the picky eaters in the family are? ;-)) I want to demonstrate minimal competence to myself before venturing out into low and slow!

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
    It makes me smile that you used FruitaWoodChunks.com, i like them a lot. My suggestion = DO IT! I think you'll like pecan, it's like a lighter hickory. Log cooking imparts a lot smoke so best not to use hickory or misquote our even oak IMHO. Please report your results! Have fun! I'm a log smoker so I eat this up.

I forget, do you like pecan or peach the best?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    It makes me smile that you used FruitaWoodChunks.com, I like them a lot. My suggestion = DO IT! I think you'll like pecan, it's like a lighter hickory. Log cooking imparts a lot smoke so best not to use hickory or mesquite or even oak IMHO. Please report your results! Have fun! I'm a log smoker so I eat this up.
    Last edited by Huskee; July 30, 2014, 06:32 AM. Reason: typos from auto-correct

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Have a separate firebox where you can get the wood burning. You may not need it, but it'll be nice to have in case you have too much or too little wood in the TPC and need to add or take away.

For Saturday I'd go with a meat that better tests your skill with logs... perhaps chicken pieces.

Regardless, keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• dprice
    started a topic Starting on stick burning this weekend

Starting on stick burning this weekend

According, to FedEx, on Thursday, I get 55 pounds of 12" pecan splits from Fruitawood. On Friday, wife and daughter get home, and that evening I plan to calibrate my Texas Pit Crafters cooker (no sidebox -- a challenge!) for direct and indirect.

Plan:

Saturday, burgers direct over wood.

Sunday, SLC's indirect over wood.

Thoughts or suggestions on calibration and/or preparation would be appreciated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here