Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical vs. Traditional Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical vs. Traditional Offset

Hey folks,

MCS kickin' in again and I am close to my savings goal so I can purchase a new smoker. Now, I am certain at this point it will be a LSG, however, I am torn between a vertical and a traditional style smoker. I don't know as much about the vertical smokers as I'd like to, hence me turning to my fellow BBQ enthusiasts. My goal is to use it for home BBQ's, as well as potentially some small catered events and larger parties. Now, here is where y'all give me your opinions as to which one would fit me best!

I would also like to know the pros and cons of a vertical smoker.

As always, y'all are the best and I look forward to hearing back!

I have a vertical COS. There are things about it I don’t like but that is because of the design of the COS... I think a quality built offset would solve that.

The two things I really like about Vertical Offsets are:

1. You can get a lot of food on them (if the racks are spaced right).

2. You can play the racks to your advantage by being able to put say a pot of beans under your ribs and catch all those delicious drippings... or chicken under a PB... etc...

Comment

I have neither, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My only concern with a vertical would be if I wanted to cook different meats at the same time. This question also keeps coming up here: what goes on top - beef or pork. And the answers vary...

Comment

I can’t contest as to how vertical smokers preform. But I can tell you that which ever LSG you choose you will not be disappointed.
        If you want any feedback about their offsets just let me know.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          My cart has been full with the 24" X 40". Finally got time to hit the order button! How did you order the three Tel Trues on yours?

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          lonnie mac When I ordered mine I asked Chris to have 2 tel trues. One on the left and one on the right. The guy who built mine didn’t see that in the foot notes and put it in the center. When they realized that they called me and Chris said he would add the 2 @ no charge.

Comment

@Chuck T, I had both offsets & like the vertical best as a mater of fact I gave the horizontal offset to a friend, vertical is more stable as far as temp. goes & you can get a lot more food in it.
          Dave

Comment

• Chuck T
            Chuck T commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't have guessed that about the temperature honestly. After watching a few videos though, I did notice the consistency across the chamber.

I have a vertical COS, and the only issue I have is when I cook brisket. It’s about 18” at its widest, so I have to cut brisket in two. Wasn’t doing any brisket when I got it, so that was never a concern. However, the brisket comes out great, ileven if I don’t cook the whole thing in one piece.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            For my pellet I cut off that mostly flat piece before it really tapers off into two. I can lay them fat cap down on the bottom shelf (higher heat hitting the fat cap), and then up higher I can run the rest of the brisket fat cap up.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here