Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stickburner Exhaust Impact on Nearby Trees??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stickburner Exhaust Impact on Nearby Trees??

Hey Pit,

I'm looking at this super cool location as a home for Paul's Rib Shack. It has some gorgeous Oak Trees as a canopy for the yard!!!

One issue I'm wanting some wisdom on is how the exhaust from our smokers will impact these fantastic trees? If I could put my smokehouse right where I want it, I would be about 20' or so from the center of the nearest tree, and well inside the outer reaches of its canopy. The smokers I'm going to put there are the 1,000 gallon texas style pits, with the long exhaust stack (over 10 feet high) and high airflow.

What do you guys think?

Hmmmmm. Ryan Street or Lake Street?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      ohhh, I love your thinking! But I can't say just yet.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a high school buddy that runs BBQ West over there near Academy. They put the briskets smoking at 1pm and take them off at 6 the next morning.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 27, 2018, 12:23 PM.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Super fun!!

I can only speak from having a backyard smoker next to a mesquite tree. I have not noticed any ill effects from the smoke exhaust over the last 10 years.

Comment

I don't see it hurting the trees to any large extent. The smoke and heat dissipate pretty quickly once leaving the exhaust. You could put some type of diffuser just above the top of the exhaust for some added protection to any lower branches. Also helps keep any rain or debris entering directly into the exhaust.

I have a umbrella mount on my trailer rig that I can put a 9' patio umbrella in for a rainy day or when some shade is needed. The umbrella has a vent on the top but it sits over the exhaust of the stick burner by about 2' or so. It's discolored the umbrella a little at the top but other than that no effect.

Comment

Just be careful that you don’t wake up the Ents. They don’t like when you burn their friends.

Click image for larger version  Name:	41D8C253-B8A3-488E-BBB3-81E8907D5BFB.gif Views:	1 Size:	6.35 MB ID:	538697

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          hahaha, such a bad ass scene!

You good man, you good. I have an apple tree that is right overtop my Yoder. One single branch hangs low, and the dozen leaves or so within heat contact distance (8" or so) from the exhaust would brown maybe half of them, but the tree as a whole was affected nada by the smoke. Especially if they're up high.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          If that apple tree is in your way at all I'd be happy to remove and relocate it to my stick burner for ya!

My Live Oaks hang over at about ten feet...my fire pit for burning wood down to coals doesn't hurt them even at a full fire blaze. My smoker sits under the trees also and has never had an effect.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Same for my BGE, and now the Uuni oven under the umbrella. You should be good. And there's always Frozen Smoke 's offer.

PaulstheRibList

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here