Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Stick-Burner 2 buy to learn to Smoke with Wood? (And cook 4 briskets at a time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Stick-Burner 2 buy to learn to Smoke with Wood? (And cook 4 briskets at a time)

OK, I've made it to 2 of the top 5 BBQ joints in Texas Monthly's List, and about 10 others in their top 50, and I'm having a blast cooking on my pair of 22.5 WSM charcoal/bullet cookers, and my Dryer-Turned-Smoker, set up as a vertical charcoal smoker.

Last week I went to Louis Mueller BBQ in Taylor, TX. The Brisket was great! Huge brick pit in the middle of the building.

It's on my BBQ resolution to buy a stick-burner, and then build a brick pit sometime. And NOW is that time. I see that Yoder and Lang are favorites of a few of the PitFaithful. Those and Horizon, Klouse are the offset smokers on AmazingRibs that have Gold Medals and are under $2,000.

If you have any suggestions on which Stick-Burner I would learn best with, I'm all ears!

I can't wait to have a big Woodpile!

paul

All great choices in your price range.

Comment

I don't own one yet. But the Yoder Loaded Wichita is the one I've picked to go with. Heavy construction, Made in America, lots of options, priced right and I've heard great reviews.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm loving that one too!

Yoder loaded Wichita and and Horizon RD Marshal are nearly identical twins, some slight differnces in features and price (Yoder is ~$70 more). The Horizon lacks a shelf in front of the firebox from the pictures.

Lang makes a great 48" patio model in a similar price range and also a cheaper (~$1100) 36" patio model. Lang's patio models are more of a scoot around by hand smoker like the Yoders and Horizons, whereas the larger Langs are trailer-mounted. For your competitions these patio models might be much less handy unless it's solely for learning and for backyard/private party use due to lack of mobility. Langs are reverse flow.

Klose backyard 48" pit is also very similarly priced and sized.

The Klose and Lang pits have a square, stove-like fire box. The Yoder and Horizon have a flip-top firebox lid (which I find to be very user-friendly for loading). All of them I believe have the option for cooking grates for the firebox to grill directly over the wood or charcoal in the firebox.

Comment

So, am I not a real man if I have no interest in stick burners? :-[
        Last edited by Dewesq55; January 8, 2015, 02:59 PM. Reason: To correct a type

Comment

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey DEW, if the shoe fits wear it.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          True dat, Barry. But since I discovered that the rig I'm pining for (The Good One Open Range) can burn logs, that shoe is starting to pinch my toes ;-)
          Last edited by Dewesq55; January 24, 2015, 09:17 AM.

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry DEW I didn't see your return post. TGO Open Range has a lot going for it. I had looked at it and it is a great looking grill/smoker.

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
        So, am I not a real man if I have no interest in stock burners? :-[
        Objection! Leading the witness!

Comment

Good call, Huskee. That was, in fact, a leading question. But, if I was the judge I would say "No, I'll allow it. You may answer the question."

Comment

I have a lot of interest in eventually graduating to a good charcoal burner, such as The Good One Open Range, but burning logs doesn't interest me particularly.

Comment

Dew, I don't know about the real man part but my opinion is a hardcore bbqer would be interested in a stick burner

Comment

The Good One is a great option for quality. Plus, say 5 years down the road you get a wild hair and decide to try your hand at log burning, you have that option here.

You don't have to burn logs to do good BBQ. The idea is to do what's enjoyable to you while still getting your desired end product. I don't care much for ice fishing the older I get, I'd much rather ride in a boat in nice spring through fall weather. I don't think it means I'm less of a fisherman, I just prefer the style of it that suits me best.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Except in your drink, right?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not even in my drink

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee, I have been under yhe weather ever since I smoked those butts for slicing. Just starting to feel a little better. Been to the Doc twice in one week. It might be a while before I cook in the cold weather again.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                Dew, I don't know about the real man part but my opinion is a hardcore bbqer would be interested in a stick burner
                Same difference, no, DW?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                  I'd much rather ride in a boat in nice spring through fall weather. I don't think it means I'm less of a fisherman, I just prefer the style of it that suits me best.
                  I'm totally with you on that Huskee. I like the boat, but I like sitting on the beach in the fall with a couple of surf rod lines in the water smoking a fat cigar and not caring all that much whether the fish are biting or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Boat.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	50292

Click image for larger version

Name:	Surf Fishing.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	50293

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now, THAT, I agree with DW. . . :-D

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That picture is epic

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pretty much anytime I get to thinking about where I would rather be than wherever I am, this picture is the mental vision I get.

DEW

If I ever get it back in the water and you find yourself on or near the Eastern Shore of VA, you would be more than welcome.

Comment

By the way, Huskee, after what you said about The Good One, I wrote to them and asked specifically if it could be used as a stick-burner and, not surprisingly, you were right, it can. I had not seen anything on their site about using anything but charcoal, with or without chunks, but logs can be used. So if/when I eventually get one, and, as you say, get a wild hair, I won't have to shop for yet another rig to give stick-burning a try.

DEW

Comment

• Beefchop
                      Beefchop commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I asked this of the Meadow Creek people as well (looking at their pig roaster series) and they said "yes" but qualified it with a comment that a wood fire is going to burn hotter than charcoal, so heat regulation may be as if not more challenging than you'd find on a traditional offset. Good to know that The Good One is log capable!

Ok, I'm sure there are lots of threads out there on other bbq sites addressing this question, but is there any magic to Reverse Flow?

In doing a little searching and reading while my wife and girls just watched an episode of Downton Abby, it looks like the Lang has a benefit also of being pretty easy to clean. Cleaning while the unit is still hot sounds like it makes it easier to be ready fo the next cook. Is cleanup a chore for other models?

3rd question: How often do you need to tend the fire, add wood when doing a brisket cook, for example, on these types of cookers (the 48 inch Lang/Yoder/Horizon that Huskee so generously described for me above).

Your stick-burning Apprentice,
                    paul

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here