Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Stick-Burner 2 buy to learn to Smoke with Wood? (And cook 4 briskets at a time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Pretty much anytime I get to thinking about where I would rather be than wherever I am, this picture is the mental vision I get.

DEW

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    That picture is epic

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Good job on the preburn, that's a good thing to do.

• (mr.brisket)
    replied
    While both the Yoder and Lang are certainly excellent smokers, I have had great success with the Brinkman Trailmaster 57 inch Vertical smoker and I got it delivered for under $300, it also received the silver award from this site. I admit that if I could have justified it with my wife I would have purchased a much more expensive smoker, but that being said I searched for some time to find an inexpensive smoker that could perform as well as the big ticket units and found it in the Trailmaster 57 inch vertical. The vertical design allows for even heat and smoke dispersion I have used it for the past two years and it looks and cooks as good as the first day I used it. For maintenance I spray the fire box with pam non stick spray oil while it is hot to prevent rust and I spray out the smoker box once every ten cooks with a garden hose. There is definitely no shortage of cooking space in this unit and the vertical design means it takes up less space on my deck. when I use burned down logs for fuel It maintains consistent temperatures for two to three hours at a time depending on external conditions. I place my wood in a basket so it does not make contact with the sides of the firebox which should delay any burnout, besides I figure I could buy seven of these for the cost of one Yoder. I attached some pics, one is of five slabs of bacon and one is of two hams that I cooked after new years.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I can't speak for the others, but I'd say about every 30-60 min (depending on the type/quality of wood used) you need a little tending. Picture sitting around a bonfire, how often do you stoke it or add another log? It's kind of like that I guess, within reason. If you set up a charcoal slow burn like the fuse, you can go longer. As fas as cleaning, I don't do the water spray while it's hot thing with mine, I don't see the need and I can't be bothered with that. I scrape the lid every month or so to get the flakes off (or they'll fall on your food and look like big bitter pepper flakes) and about 1-2 times/yr I give it a good de-gooping from the crumblies that try to collect in it. I scrpae the grates before & after each cook while it's hot.

And re: reverse flow, it is designed to help distribute even temps across the cooker, sicne the heat and smoke have to travel to the far end, then back over the food to the chimney. This is supposed to reduce temp differentials, but I'm not convinced it would affect smoke flavor much, since your meat doesn't care which direction the smoke hits it from. I don't own one so I cannot add any experience to this statement for against it vs conventional flow. I do know that you can A) eliminate much of the temp differential in a conventional flow offset if you want to, and B) if you have a temp differential, you can use it to your benefit with different thickness meats.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Ok, I'm sure there are lots of threads out there on other bbq sites addressing this question, but is there any magic to Reverse Flow?

In doing a little searching and reading while my wife and girls just watched an episode of Downton Abby, it looks like the Lang has a benefit also of being pretty easy to clean. Cleaning while the unit is still hot sounds like it makes it easier to be ready fo the next cook. Is cleanup a chore for other models?

3rd question: How often do you need to tend the fire, add wood when doing a brisket cook, for example, on these types of cookers (the 48 inch Lang/Yoder/Horizon that Huskee so generously described for me above).

Your stick-burning Apprentice,
    paul

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    By the way, Huskee, after what you said about The Good One, I wrote to them and asked specifically if it could be used as a stick-burner and, not surprisingly, you were right, it can. I had not seen anything on their site about using anything but charcoal, with or without chunks, but logs can be used. So if/when I eventually get one, and, as you say, get a wild hair, I won't have to shop for yet another rig to give stick-burning a try.

DEW

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Now, THAT, I agree with DW. . . :-D

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Well anyway it should be against the law for anyone to have that much fun

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Nah. Just nice tight lines. The third and 4th poles were another guy's. I only fish 2 rods. Too much running around to tend to 4.

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    I think he has one on the third pole

• Dewesq55
    replied
    If I ever get it back in the water and you find yourself on or near the Eastern Shore of VA, you would be more than welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Rough life eh DEW? Lemme know if you need someone to help hold one of those seats down in that boat

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    I'd much rather ride in a boat in nice spring through fall weather. I don't think it means I'm less of a fisherman, I just prefer the style of it that suits me best.
    I'm totally with you on that Huskee. I like the boat, but I like sitting on the beach in the fall with a couple of surf rod lines in the water smoking a fat cigar and not caring all that much whether the fish are biting or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Boat.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	50292

Click image for larger version

Name:	Surf Fishing.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	50293

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee, I have been under yhe weather ever since I smoked those butts for slicing. Just starting to feel a little better. Been to the Doc twice in one week. It might be a while before I cook in the cold weather again.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here