Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Stick-Burner 2 buy to learn to Smoke with Wood? (And cook 4 briskets at a time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    replied
    It's a good thing the seller can't read this, eh?

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    I gotta agree with Huskee. That sounds like an AWESOME deal.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee, your profile pic has that Loaded Witcha in the backbround...causing me some smoker envy regular like... Seller says that the weight is quite balanced. But I'll bring a come-a-long and a helper to wheel it on my trailer!

My wife is from Texas, so she will really like the Texas State cutouts on it!

• Huskee
    replied
    SNAG THAT UP! That is a great deal, assuming there's no hidden caveats. You're saving about $1K over a new version of the same thing. Perfect entry smoker to see if you want a stickburner for competition. Will be one heavy bugger though, eat your Wheaties! I bent my wedding ring wheeling mine around by the handle, and mine is only 1/4" and well over 600lbs.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Well, I may have found what I'm looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5888.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	55835 This is a few year old, local-built pit, about 2 hours from me. Thicker than normal construction: 1/2" thick firebox, 3/8" thick main barrell.

Name:	image_5889.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	55836
    Cooking grate is 37"x22" (or 20", I don't remember), with a 2nd grate. Has damper plates. Owner said it keeps temp great. Looks like it was copied from the Yoder Witchia, but with thicker steel.
    $700

Any concerns from the wisdom crowd?
    Otherwise, I think I'm doing a road trip tomorrow!
    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; January 23, 2015, 08:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Looks good to me. Listing says the trailer is included. The only thing I would question is what type of baffling system or tuning plates there are. The firebox photo is hard to tell how it passes into the cooking chamber, and the cooking chamber photos don't show anything either. If it's open you're likely to have a huge pain with a hot end and a cool end, although the seller claims only a 3 degree difference (I find that to be quite a bold claim, call me cynical).

Assuming the seller's descriptions are spot on, that's a nice machine. Small firebox yes, but if you're in a warm climate you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Max Good
    replied
    It's hard to keep track of all numerous metal fabricators who have a BBQ aficionado in house. Obviously you're saving $$ on shipping. Go check it out. If it looks good and the trailer is included, could be a nice deal. But keep in mind, well known manufacturers like Lang are well known for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Paul I'm going to pass this on to Max for a look. Stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I thought. Maybe I should #DiveIn!!

How many ribs could I cook in that baby!

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Whoah. The traitor is included? Seems like a good deal if that's qtr inch steel.

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    I'm loving that one too!

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    The ad didn't say. Looks like 250 gallon propane tank conversion, 1/4 inch.
    Here's the ad, http://houston.craigslist.org/for/4821488890.html

• David Parrish
    replied
    What's it made of? 1/4" steel or thicker?

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    I could drive 2 hours to Houston and get this pit for $700 less than a 48" lang, $1,895 + 495 shipping. I'd definately need to use the savings to buy a lot of wood!

Firebox of 18x18x18 sure looks small, however. That's the same size at the 48" lang. That can't be right? #NoobieProblems

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Since my birth in smoking is on the Bullet smokers, I'm just wondering why vertical smokers are not more popular in bigger designs, rather than the horizontal offset smokers. The vertical yields a lot more cooking space for the pipe (or box). I see more vertical smokers in the square, insulated box verity.

I see some individual builders in Houston with cool looking pits that are a little more affordable, but I'm just thinking I ought to buy a reliable-name-brand pit, learn to cook with wood, then I'll know more when I get something bigger... Click image for larger version

Name:	7 foot, $1,700 pit!!!!.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	55040
    like this pit, for only $1,700!!!!

Name:	7 foot.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	55041
    7 foot pit, 31 inches wide, will cook 18 briskets! Only an 18x18x18 firebox.

Tell me why this new pit appears so cheap? What am I missing?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest