Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squogs

I just ordered a couple cases of these from Ole Hickory Pits. They are center cut Hickory logs that are square . Said to burn longer. They are 3 1/2 " wide and 12" long. I plan on using my chop saw to shorten them to 10 1/2" . 2 will lay perfectly in my KBQ with the lid down tight. I will use the chunks in my PBC and SNS. My purpose is to get a longer burn and with the lid on tight get more smoke flavor. I will let you all know how it goes when I get them delivered. In one of their stick burners one log lasts 8 hours. I know that is not a comparison but I am intrigued.

From my wood burning experience they take longer to burn because they are flat which reduces the air going around them. But I cannot say on a KBQ how they will do

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I think your science is sound.

I have become a hickory fan in the last couple of years. I don't know that shape really plays part in the burn or not, I tend to doubt it but honestly don't know. What I think the advantage is 1) center cutting (most densest part of the tree) and 2) the fact that hickory, of all the American hardwoods, has the best thermo burn rate BTU wise. Oak is a very close second. That's going to give you the long burn and top heat extraction you are looking for. I'm interested in how you make out with yours Baker Dan .

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I use hickory exclusively on pork. oak/mesquite on beef, pecan on poultry, and fruitwood on fish, veggies, cheese, nuts, excetra.

The only two smoking wood that I put in the Lang is Hickory and Oak. Also in my experience the oak burns hotter than the hickory. I always used the oak as the base of hot coals and add the hickory during the cook with a log of oak every now and then.

Comment

I know square/flat vs round/cone shaped makes a difference when it comes to curing. The round/cone/tube cures quicker.

Now if you compared statistical graphs I'm not sure what the Kurtosis would be for each.

Comment

Looking forward to what you find out. Thanks!

Comment

Watch out for square smoke!

Comment

Ole Hickory Pits is pitching Squogs to restaurants. They are billed as hickory logs that have been milled square like lumber, without bark, into uniform 3.5 x 3.5 x 12" blocks. They are designed for stick burning pits like the ones they manufacture. They have some real advantages. There is no bark so they are consistent quality, they stack neatly on pallets, and bark is often dirty, flakes off, and hides bugs. Very clever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	squogs.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	477877

Comment

These Squogs look like the logical conclusion to my never ending quest to cut and split (using the Kindling Cracker) logs to the most uniform size and shape I possibly can.

Comment

I couldn't find them on the Ole Hickory Pits site. Closest to it was these.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here