Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old pit on the side of the road...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old pit on the side of the road...

Saw this old rotisserie pit on the side of the road in a small store parking lot. Thought I needed a bottle of water and a few pics. The gal in the store didn't have any info on the pit. Just thought I'd check it out:

Weird layout... is the bottom connected to the smoking chamber? Seems like maybe you start the wood off in the bottom and then load into the square firebox??

Comment

That square box on the back (above the fire box) is a warmer. The square box on the the side had the motor.

Comment

With some paint that this would be pretty cool. I wonder how tight the doors and dampers fit. It looks like they added those boxes near the top for increased capacity. It kinda looks like something you would find in a Tim Burton film or in the Adams family's back yard. Cool find.

Comment

Clearly they just want someone to haul it off for them. I think you should volunteer, Jon! That is a pit with potential.

I love the firebox to chamber 'chute'. This was clearly a very considered pit. Break out the wire brush and give it a new lease on life!

Comment

Interesting design - clearly a lot of thought was put into it. Those racks could hold enough meat to feed a whole bunch of folks!

Comment

I agree, this would be a really fun project.

Comment

This baby is fuzzy moldy. She needs some serious steam!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Take it to a self service car wash.

Damn! That is really cool! Would love to know the history of something like that. Hope you find out more about it Jon. Thanks for sharing! Jim

Comment

There's your stickburner my man, one heck of a beast. Wear a mask around that mold, don't chance it, even with water or steam. Spores travel.

Comment

Jon, I saw this pit on the side of the road a few years ago. A Texas sized firebox, and no mistake!

(I think if I'd have opened it, the firebox was probably on the right. But I'll perpetrate the myth for Texas!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00154-20101110-1709.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	46637

Comment

Dude, that is cool! A great project in the making!

Comment

Jon, it has potential. Are you considering pursuing it?

Comment

No I just thought it was interesting. Way to big for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here