Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've narrowed it down to 3 choices: Klose, Moberg and Pitt's and Spitt's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've narrowed it down to 3 choices: Klose, Moberg and Pitt's and Spitt's

I posted last week about my family's bday present for my dad, a new offset smoker. I was asking about Moberg and since then I've gotten great feedback and talked to them directly. Our budget is around $3k pre-tax. We are in Austin, and will drive and pick it up, so no shipping charges in the budget. I have decided I do not want a vertical smoking section, would rather have bigger barrel, but I can be talked out of that if someone presents a good case.

In no particular order:

Moberg: They make each pit to order, and right now there is a 1 year lead time. So this would be like getting a deer shoulder mounting, just put it in the back of your mind and forget about it until next year. Very popular pitmaker right now.. seems to be making pitts for some of the best new BBQ places in Texas and the US.
    Considering this model for $2,500-$2,800 . Check out their isntagram, their smokers are slick! https://www.instagram.com/p/BUmOHmzA...=mobergsmokers

Klose: one of these models https://bbqpits.com/wp-content/uploa...moker_2016.pdf
    Long considered the crown jewel of pitmaking in Texas. This seems to be the most common response when I ask my buddies what they would get for $3k. I've visited his shop in Houston when I lived there, and he seems to have some models available for purchase any day of the week, but it just depends on what he's made. This is a selling point to me as we could get one any time depending on inventory.

Pitts and Spitts: I have their pellet smoker and it's fantastic. I know the owner very well, but this present isn't for me, it's for my dad and it's not a surprise, so the choice is ultimately his. I would get him the "ultimate smoker" listed on http://pittsandspitts.com/smokers/ I do like that they have an option to put a propane log lighter in the firebox. Cool feature and they look really nice.

What would you all pick? If I could get a Moberg now or in a couple months, it would be my top recommendation, but right now, I'm thinking my recommendation would be:
    1. Klose
    2. Moberg
    3. Pitts and Spitts

When I was looking at offsets Klose just seemed overpriced to me. Once I found LonestarGrillz I never gave Klose another look.

If I were to get an offset I really don't like the tuning plates and forcing all the heat and smoke down coming into the smoke chamber which is what Klose and LoneStare do. El Rey smokers and Jambo have what I would prefer- insulated firebox with intake at grate level.

Comment

If patience is a virtue then:
      Moberg
      Klose
      Pitts and Spitts

Remember:

Click image for larger version

Name:	C3CE52CD-7551-4F5E-B610-66A6463AEB35.jpeg
Views:	1253
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	462214

Comment

• RanchoStarvo
        RanchoStarvo commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's what I'm going to do. Moberg smokers are soooo cool looking. We are trying to setup a walkthrough of their shop in the next couple weeks.

That’s a tough decision but whatever you decide on your dad is going to be very happy.

Comment

I like those Morberg pits. I love the big fireboxes and stacks they have on their pits. Their counter weights are are also nice, clean and minimal. I am not a fan of the large, bulky types of counter weights. (Like on a Gator Pit. However, I'd probably take a a Gator Pit over any) To me the year wait is worth it, if it is the pit for him. What is a year of waiting, if you can have what you want for life?

Klose Pits look nice too, I just don't know that much about them.

When I finally get my offset, I am pretty sure I am going with a LSG.

Comment

These are all fine looking pits for sure! Lone Star Grillz for me as well though. Just waitin for Spinaker to come down, so he, Troutman and I can all go there and buy three!

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
            6th Borough BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            3? Is that all?!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh.....that’s each

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            4. I'll get one too!

If you haven’t looked at them check out LoneStar Grillz. They are in Texas.

Comment

Not sure if you have visited Klose but go see their pits then go to Lone Star. Lone Star makes one of the nicest pits out there, I like them better than Klose and P&S.

I too own the P&S pellet and love it but they’re making their cooking chambers out of 10 ga. Instead of 1/4” plate. Not a big deal but apples and oranges. I do like their signature rolled stainless door however.

Again I’m a Lone Star convert. Once you see them, they are a cut above imho.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              barelfly check my avatar. That’s my LSG 24X36.

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B that is awesome. I don’t know if someth8ng like this would ever be in the cards, especially in how my backyard is set up. I wouldn’t have an area to keep that beautiful smoker! I have a covered patio for my cooking space. When I use the kettle, it’s out away from the house in the dirt. Man how cool would it be to have one of those things!

• RanchoStarvo
              RanchoStarvo commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll have to check out lone star now!

Did you ever end up getting one of these?

I've got a order for a 250 with Moberg. Should be late spring/summer 2022 build. Next summer is going to be awesome! Great guy and great build quality. 500 gallon was way too much smoker for my backyard, but 250 will work out just right.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here