Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get a reverse flow offset smoker - what's a realistic budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget about shipping! One of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on something built in Texas is the shipping. That alone will be in the neighborhood of $600.

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      just drive there and tow it home(sampling regional Que along the way,it's research)!

BrisketNBeer I would jump on that Jambo. Check for rust, paint scratches, how bad it looks inside the barrel, but really all that can be fixed up with a little elbow grease. The one thing that would push me away at that price would be something dented, bent, or otherwise obviously wrong with it. It is an incredible smoker.

A source for wood is valuable as ComfortablyNumb mentioned, but if you aren't smoking all that often, search the free section of Craigslist. A lot of people have trees blow down and they don't know what to do with all the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
      Don't forget about shipping! One of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on something built in Texas is the shipping. That alone will be in the neighborhood of $600.
      I considered driving to Arizona to pick up my last cooker from Arizona BBQ Outfitters but then I would have had to pay AZ sales tax which would have been nearly as much as the shipping. You pay one way or the other. You can get on those web sites like UShip and others where people bid on hauling your pit across the country but I heard horror stories like people's vehicles breaking down and they can't afford to fix it so they just leave your stuff on the side of the road.

I wonder if the op has considered a conventional flow with tuning plates rather than a reverse flow? I personally like the flexibility of running my pit 50 degrees or more hotter on one end than the other. Or pretty close to the same all the way across.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Another option is Fastenal. Yes the store that sells nuts and bolts. They have a trucking fleet to supply their stores and offer third party shipping and low rates. It was a third of a national shipper to have my grist mill shipped from Ohio. It was damaged in transit and they covered the cost of the damage. The only thing is you have to pick up at one of their stores.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        I very much agree on the temp differences! As I have been deciding in designs for a big Cooker I keep coming back to the fact I want to be able to cook different proteins at different temps at the same time.

That's good info to know ComfortablyNumb I have 2 Fastenal's nearby. I got on the phone and started calling LTL company's getting quotes until I found one that had a truck in the Scottsdale area waiting for a return load. They hauled it from Scottsdale to St. Paul for $800 in a dry van. The wheels of the smoker never touched the ground and it never seen the out of doors weather. I could not have gone dowe there to get it for that amount especially having to pay sales tax.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here