Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probe Port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe Port?

Hey-
    Long time member, first time poster (I think).

I am ordering a new Horizon 20" RD Special. Question- Shall I have a probe port installed or can I just run probe cables under the lid?
    Thoughts, reflections, experiences..?

Welcome to the "forum posting family" and please click on the link below and dive in if you have not already become familiar with the contents of the link.

I prefer a port myself. Even on a Weber Kettle, drilling a hole big enough to accept three probes has no ill effects.

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club Forum fondly called The Pit! To help things run smoothly and make sure you get the most out of our great and ever-expanding community here, we've compiled some things for you to do as your time permits. I like to call this your homework assignment. The red words are links, please click them &

Comment

First of all, welcome to The Pit! Second, congrats! That's a good lookin' smoker. Yes I would have the probe ports install.

Comment

Welcome to the pit, thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Install the probe port.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
            I'd definitely order th port...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Add me to the list of members voting for the port.

Comment

I wish my WSCGC had a probe port, especially for when I want to run 3 or more probes.

I say go for it, Tooslim .

Welcome! You're going to love this place.

Kathryn

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I had that awesome grill, I’d find a way. Does it have a fan port built in, it looks like it. I wonder if you could run cables up through that if you are using the SNS on the other side to constrain the coals?

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've thought of rigging something to do just that, Polarbear777 . It's annoying to feed cables over the rim. I can't believe something so well designed didn't include probe ports.
                  K.

Welcome to the Pit. Port O Call matie !!!

Comment

I put a probe port in everything. I used to drop them through the air vents but they are always getting in the way.

You can buy silicone plugs cheaply in different sizes that let you seal the port with or without cables in it. Just make sure your port doesn’t have any rough edges.

Comment

Thanks, Polarbear777 . I've been patient with it up to now, but will look for a silicone plug to fit that fan port opening. However, I bought the Fireboard setup and a Pit Viper fan, so the port may be occupied much of the time.

Kathryn

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The fire viper combo is my latest set up on my other stuff.

For the WSCG:

I guess you’d have to drill a port hole (hole saw) then install a stainless pipe (potentially bolt holes and brackets if the sealant won’t hold it in place) then seal it with 2000F rated sealant. Actually not that hard but a good bit of work. McMasterCarr would be helpful to get the pieces.

I did this to add a fan to my pbc separate from the intake, but that’s only one steel layer so much easier.

Comment

Interesting. So apparently running probe cables under the lid causes considerable smoke leakage?

Comment

• DWCowles
                        DWCowles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not really but on a stickburner the lid is heavy which can cause damage to the probe cable.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No. And if you set your lid down gently therell be no damage. That's how I do it. Admittedly I'm in the minority but I refuse to drill a hole for "convenience" & my smoker's old enough a probe port wasn't an option at the time. To me it's more convenient to run the wires as I please as long as I'm gentle with the lid.

Allrighty then! My new RD Special is coming with a prob port. (15 dollar upgrade-kind of a no brainer actually).
                      Thank you all for your informed thoughts.

Comment

Actually it wouldn't hurt to have 2 probe ports maybe 3.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here