Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (to me) Jambo Backyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome find, congrats!!!

Comment

Nice find,smoke on!!!

Comment

I know you got that bad boy fired up.................

Comment

Ain't seein nuthin fer a Smoke Plume on satellite, at present... might haveta wait fer th next pass, or two...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 28, 2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha, I know he is ripping a double header on that beast today. I may have seen something on instagram........... Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Suh+Weet!!!!

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            It burns so clean that the smoke wouldn't show up on satellite- If anything the smoke fatty may show up

now that is "smokin'"!!!!

Comment

What a weekend! I am in love with this cooker!

Started out on my Friday off to source products. A few recommendations for SoCal and non-SoCal people.

First off headed to The Woodshed in Orange, CA to pick up a truck bed full of Oak and a few bags of Cherry, Pecan, and Hickory. If you live in SoCal I would highly recommend making the journey to the woodshed. They are a local family owned place with the nicest owners. Usually a tad more pricey than some of the other places I have tried but well worth it. I don't at all mind spending the extra money when it comes to awesome people and local businesses.

Next was over to Brandt Beef in Buena Park, CA to pick up some quality (not commodity) prime briskets. You'll see in the photos below, but man these briskets are great! They are priced per piece versus per pound, but I bought 4 of their competition briskets (15+). Total weight was 65lbs at $380, so about 6 bucks per pound. The best part- they do ship so all you people that cant get good brisket (or tri tip) in your area, I would highly recommend Brandt! More expensive than Costco, but these are far better. Twice? Probably. As good as SRF? Pretty darn close and cheaper. http://www.brandtbeef.com/

Last, Smithfield pork! Their extra tender ribs and butts are the best, and they sell for cheap! $2/lb pork butt and $3.50 ish I think st louis spares. Get them at Wal Mart folks!

The best part, the cook! I broke it in Saturday with a rack of ribs and some chicken breast. Ribs were rubbed with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction, Trinity, and Pecan. If you aren't familiar with Simply Marvelous rubs, they are a product of a California Pit Master Steph Franklin who is an extremely nice guy. I have taken his comp class and he is truly an all around amazing guy and his rubs are some of the best I've tried. For the chicken, I used Simon and Garfunkel and Big Poppa Smokers Little Louie's Garlic Salt. The ribs and chicken were amazing. Smithfield ribs are super meaty and the Extra Tenders are pre-brined so all I had to do was let the rub set in for a half hour or so and away they went!

On Sunday was part two- I did two more racks of ribs, 1 Brandt Prime Comp brisket (rubbed with Big Poppa Smokers Cash Cow and Simply Marvelous Peppered cow), and two Smithfield Extra Tender pork butts.

This Jambo Backyard is the business. It was SUPER easy to maintain temps- It hummed along around 270 at the probe (probably around 250 at the grate). There were 20-30 mph winds going on and the Jambo could care less. I started it up with a chimney of Kingsford blue bag and added two quarter splits of oak (about 8-10 inches cut in half circles). You can see how small of a fire and what a small amount of space in the insulated fire box that it took to keep the cooker at 270. I would put a couple of logs in the cook box to dry them out a bit before getting them on the fire. The biggest trick was making sure there was a bed of coals to keep the fire small and hot. Ended up using Pecan, Oak and Cherry. The convection was excellent and it cooked everything very even.

I have always been one of those people that tries to spend the extra money up front to make my life easier later, and this Jambo definitely hit the mark. I can confidently use a stick burner with excellent results thanks to the quality and thickness of the pit. Compared to the KBQ i'd say the flavor on the Jambo may be a smidge better, but not too far different either way. KBQ definitely cooks faster but I think there also may be some loss in moisture due to the convection fan in the KBQ. And I think the Jambo is more efficient as far as wood use goes. Everyone says the Jambo should want a split every 45 - 1 hr but I think mine likes to eat a split every 30-45 min. Not a big deal as I had an 18 pack in the ice chest and some good tunes on.

Now I want a J-5!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1193.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	447011Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	447012Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	447013Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	447014Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1215.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	447015Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	447016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	447017Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1219.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	447018Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1223.JPG
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	447019Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	447020Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1243.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	447021Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	447022Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	447023

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Man what a weekend! The food looks fantastic and the wood pic tops it all right off!

• PBCDad
              PBCDad commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah baby! And you haven't even filled it up halfway, right? Jambo is the real deal!!!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like ya had a successful, fun an very productive weekend ,amigo!
              Likely th "First of Many to Come", with that Jambo in da house!!!

Looks fabulous! A stickburner does make a difference.

Comment

smokinfatties, As DWCowles Says "Beautiful"‼️
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Awesome write up Paul! That jumbo is a beast.

I am going to check out those Trips-tips! Thanks for the link, brother. Again, congrats on the new rig!

Comment

Well done! (You, not the meat).

Comment

Paul --

Welcome to the club. Pics and write-up was great. The gals from the Woodshed are very nice. See them all the time at competitions. Do you compete or judge? I judge and occasionally compete. Are you going to make it down to the Santa Anita Winners Circle in March or planning on attending any of the other So. Cal events?

Comment

• smokinfatties
                      smokinfatties commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey buddy! I do compete with Mike Pagel from Cool Grilling on occasion, and I have my CBJ but have never properly judged, only helped out in the judges tent for odd jobs. We haven't registered for any competitions this year because work is crazy but hoping to get some in later in the year. We took 2nd in ribs last year at Santa Anita!

• TripleB
                      TripleB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Santa Anita is a good competition. Very impressive you took 2nd. Your ribs look awesome above. Actually, everything does. Have fun with your Jambo. I'm having some removable shelves built for mine. Don't know if it will mess with the even temps or not.

• smokinfatties
                      smokinfatties commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have heard shelving doesnt mess with the temps but the temp at the shelves will be significantly hotter- like 10 degrees per inch so 5 inch shelf will be 40-50 deg hotter

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here