Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lump charcoal vs Kingsford briquetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lump charcoal vs Kingsford briquetts

So here is my question. I normally stick burn in my smoker but on longer cooks I have used a charcoal basket with Kingsford and wood chunks. I see all the time that lump is the way to go instead of briquetts. The one time I tried using lump it burned way faster than the briquetts. Is this normal or was the lump I bought just a cheap brand? If this is not normal and lump is the way to go what is a good brand to get. Any help would be appreciated.

Kingsford produces much more ash than regular old lump. It probably burned faster because airflows through the fire much easier. This is why it is ideal for kamaodos, where there is little airflow. You could choke your smoker down a bit to conserve on the lump. Being that you have so much airflow when compared to a kamado, it probably doesn't matter what fuel you use, briquettes or lump.

However, personally, I use Rockwood or FOGO.

FOGO has huge to medium sizes pieces and it works the best in my Kamado. I can get 30+ hours on a load of FOGO. It is expensive but it is the best lump I have found. The larger pieces and less ash mean you have a much less chance for a snuff out.

Rockwood is really good too. Large pieces and not very much dust on the bottom of the bag. Rockwood is not cheap, but it is not as much as FOGO.

I avoid Royal Oak and the BGE brand is made by Royal Oak. In a pinch, I will use these cheap brands.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wasn't there a group called FOGO? Or was that Foghat? I'm so confused. Sorry...carry on

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      My wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done. Troutman

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Kansas !! Or was that FOGO? I'm still confused dang it....

I’d go with briquettes for the long haul smoke. I don't think you will see much flavor difference, and lump is more expensive. For the reasons that Spinaker stated, I use lump in my Kamado, but use briquettes everywhere else.
    Last edited by Thunder77; January 7, 2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I tried using lump for the shorter cooks. It burns way too fast as far as I am concerned, and I could never figure out when to dump it to start the cook. I use briquettes, KBB -- if it ain't broke, then I ain't fixin' it.

Comment

My experience with my couple of uses of lump charcoal in my offset are that it burned hotter and faster than briquettes. And I had more issues with temp control. I found that briquettes, Kingsford for the most part, give me a longer, more controlled and extended burn. I will keep those as the coal bed in the firebox and add wood chunks or small logs on top to add smoke, but also add more Kingsford as the smoke proceeds. On a smoke of 9 butts a while back, I went through about 30 or 40 pounds of Kingsford and 10-15 pounds of apple wood chunks. Biggest issue was ash buildup after about 10 to 12 hours - I had to pull the ash pan out and dump it.
        Last edited by jfmorris; January 7, 2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I am not a fan of lump and I explain why here https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...rcoal-made-and

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen Meathead! I just re-read that article, and it makes me feel good about my use of KBB versus the "fancy" charcoal.

• sos2979
            sos2979 commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't help but picturing Meathead dropping a mic and walking off stage after that post.

• Akabiz
            Akabiz commented
            Editing a comment
            I am just excited that the man himself responded to my post! Thanks for the info.

Definitely briquettes for me. I know exactly what I am getting when I use them. Cheers

Comment

I use only KBB when i cook over coal to ensure that results are the same. The only difference i have ever noticed, is less ash and less smoke when lighting. No additional heat, not a longer burn, nada

Comment

Got all fired about about lump about a year ago. Didn't like it so, lump stinks, yea yea, lump stinks (or is that love?)

I use KBB Professional with pretty good results. I've tried Royal Oak several times (some guys swear by it and hate KBB) but my results have been that it's hard to get a good consistent burn with it in my smokers.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth. Carry on ......

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Royal Oak is not a good source of Lump Charcoal. Try a better brand. If you have a kamado, otherwise it doesn't matter.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                No kamado here. Was referring to ROR briquettes, do not like those either.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. I don’t like any type of Royal Oak brand charcoal.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here