Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Water / With Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Water / With Water

Started a brisket at 4 am ambient temp 35 degrees. No water. Temps went right up to 260-280. 1 hr in added water pan with hot water, temps went down and have remained about 45 degrees cooler. Even stoked the fire, and temps remain lower. Pretty amazing how that water pan really does act as a heat sink!

So I decided just for fun to remove water pan to see the result. Went up 50 degrees in about 10 minutes.

Comment

What kind of cooker are you using? You may or may not need a water pan.

Comment

Takes a lot of energy to heat water and evaporate it. If your water pan is too big for your space it will negatively affect your temps since water can't get over 212.

Comment

I use a water pan in my vertical and it really evens out the heat distribution side to side and top to bottom. I have to use a little more wood initially but after that it settles in nicely. Don't need a water pan in my vertical with tuning plates I can get the right adjustment from moving the tuning plates around.

Comment

Yep, a water pan will do that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2CB6285A-95AA-4E5A-8D72-B20482A030F0.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	420039 Today it was my old country pecos cos.
              its interesting how ambient temps can really effect these cookers. Testimony to thicker wall construction. The difference in flavor and color in this pit, with or without water is pretty substantial. Much better with water.

Have to say, just had dinner, some delicious tortillas, salsa, black beans, and a little bbq sauce. Perfect!
              My wonderful wife’s hand seen here modeling our dinner!

Comment

Oh! And a really gud brisket!

Comment

Nice color! Looks juicy.

Comment

Looks awesome

Comment

Gotta say it was really tasty. Making Hash with it tomorrow in the am. got a chile sauce I'm gonna add a couple pints of demi to for a sauce. will post a photo or so.

Comment

Very nice (both the brisket and your better half's hand). Glad you're figuring out the Pecos. I think that's the cooker Aaron Franklin used in a Youtube series about how to cook with an offset.

Comment

Thanks Beefchop,
                          actually my much better half’s hand! And ur right franklin cooks on a old country something on a few videos on YouTube Click image for larger version

Name:	9727F711-D110-40B5-A2C9-1E88C622F0FB.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	420706 here’s my right hand man’s left hand puttin together the hash today.
                          sorry but we got a bit busy today to post a plated hash special.
                          Sorry!

Comment

• Steve B
                            Steve B commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That looks really dang good.
                            Are you in a commercial kitchen? That flat top is huge.

I know its a crappy excuse but its sincere!

Comment

Hey, right hand man’s left hand. I have to think on that one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here