Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to properly clean an offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to properly clean an offset

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a Meadow Creek TS70 and have been researching how to properly clean an offset smoker. The grates are easy enough, but what is the proper way to care for the chamber? Spray with water while hot and scrape the cooking chamber? I've seen numerous differing opinions on this topic. Some say leave for flavor but then you read that it will eventually fall onto the food. Any advice?

I clean my Lang by getting the temp to 300-350 and spray with water hose. This creates a steam. I will do this about three times after each cook.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course I scaped and bruch the racks with a wire brush. I don't used any cleaning agents in the food chamber

Car wash for my Jambo. Grease cutter like Simple Green about a day before. Open up the grease drain at the car wash, spray it out. Hot water works best. I always spend some extra to wash up the bay after the cooker is clean. Owner knows I wash there. I wash out after every cook!

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      CandySueQ,

Do you have the Backyard Model? I've been looking at different offset cookers and am impressed with the Backyard. Seems like a lot of smoker for the money-- 24x48 with an insulated firebox...

I scrape any flaky soot from the lid every few cooks. I clean gunk & crumbs and such from the bottom 2-3 times per year. I do not wash mine after every cook, but I do scrape the grates well before and after each cook. When I do my 2-3x per year clean out I also take a torch to any soot I cannot scrape, such as inside the chimney and other unscrapeable areas.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I never thought about using a torch to burn off the tough spots.

I bet if you use MAPP (methylacetylene-propadiene propane) in lieu of plain propane it would burn it off instantaneously since MAPP produces a burn at over 5000 degrees.

Good tip!
      Last edited by HC in SC; December 17, 2014, 11:37 AM.

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      PBCs don't need that kind of cleaning.... just sayin'

• cdd315
      cdd315 commented
      Editing a comment
      Every month or so after a cook I just open the bottom vent in my Egg, pull the cap off the top and let 'er rip. Doesn't take long to burn off what ever needs burnin off at 750-800F!! Hey, that would be a cool night time pick with flames shooting out the top hahahahaha. Must remember that

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here