Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Country BBQ Pits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Country BBQ Pits

Is anyone familiar with Old Country BBQ Pits? If so, what successes/failures have you experienced and what award would it receive here (Gold, Silver, Bronze or none)? I don't have much more than $500 to spend and want to upgrade from my "altered" offset/horizontal smoker. I like having a large cooking surface which is why I went with this style in the first place. Any other suggestions will be appreciated, also.

Welcome to The Pit CC! Click the link below when you get a chance to tie up some loose ends and what not.

Old Country are well made. It's best to go through them in person to try and find one with the best fitting lids, overall seals, etc....

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club Forum fondly called The Pit! To help things run smoothly and make sure you get the most out of our great and ever-expanding community here, we've compiled some things for you to do as your time permits. I like to call this your homework assignment. The red words are links, please click them &

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thoughts on this vs OK Joe with mod kit?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate what do you mean by mod kit?

I think the OK Joe and Old Country are pretty close.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      The packages you can buy to tighten them up with gaskets silicone etc... although the reverse flow OKs look interesting too.

Welcome from Indiana.

could you tell us a little more about what you are looking for in a Cooker?

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I can't really help with that Pit, but since it is on the less expensive side, you can probably count on have to do some modes to make it air tight. Gaskets and/or heatproof silicon sealer come to mind.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Use pellets myself.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, ccweir! I have had an Old Country over and under model for about a year now and have been happy with it. As Jerod mentioned, and based on personal experience, it pays to carefully inspect several of these to find the one with the best craftsmanship. They have some really nice designs, but quality control is hit or miss. I did have a weld that holds a hinge on the firebox pop loose recently, but there is a lifetime warranty on these guys. I emailed the company and sent pictures as requested. The owner contacted me personally and arranged to send me a check to cover the cost of getting it repaired by a local welder. They earned a loyal customer for that!

Comment

Welcome ccweir

Comment

Thanks for welcoming me into The Pit! As I alluded to in my initial post, I am looking to replace my current COS. I originally went with this particular smoker mainly because it was made where I lived for a long time and wanted to give them my business. After the firebox rusted out in the first one I replaced it with another of the same. Although I think they were bought out by Char-Broil a while back and quit making them under the same name, I'm seeing them again in sporting goods stores in my area. Nothing's changed though as far as the workmanship's concerned and are the same COS I bought in the first place, however I feel that I no longer have any allegiance to them since they are not being manufactured in the same place anymore.

With some modifications that I found on the Internet, I was able to turn out pretty good BBQ on it though (at least that's what I was told by anyone that ate it). It can still be quite frustrating though, with all the leaks and poor quality of the smoker itself. But with the use of the Pitmaster IQ110 and Maverick ET-732 I've managed to get by. Long story short, after the grumblings of a 14 hr. cook on a packer brisket, I was told by my wife to just get another one if I wasn't happy with the one I had. I had to convince her that another $200 COS wasn't going to solve the problems, but she couldn't understand why I needed to spend more if the one I've been cooking on for so long turned out great BBQ time after time. Eventually we ended up compromising on something in the neighborhood of the $500 range.

Which now brings me to the dilemma I'm currently experiencing: I still love the thought of an offset smoker, e.g. the Horizon 20" RD Special Marshal reviewed on this site, but that's a little out of the range for now. Still, I want to have a large cooking surface because I usually do more than one kind of meat when I'm smoking and I don't want to have to fire up 3 or 4 grills. Pellet grills aren't out of the question and I liked what I saw of the Camp Chef PG24DLX on this site, too, but I'm afraid they're going to be too small to find one in my price range. I'm not really interested in the Pit Barrel Cooker or Weber Smokey Mountain either because I can put my Smoke EZ on my Weber kettle and pretty much get the same effect. At this point I'm open to any suggestions that anyone would like to make. Thanks!

Comment

ccweir, I have an Old Country smoker, the Over and Under model. I've had it since Feb of this year, and so far I am happy with it. I don't see where you could go wrong with one of their offset models, as long as you have the opportunity to look at several examples at Academy and can pick the best one. Look at the Academy website and look at all the available models, too. Not all Academy's will carry every example, i.e. I've never seen one of the vertical smokers that they offer available in the store. For the money, I haven't seen anything that can compare to the quality (even with some QC issues).

Comment

ccweir , you might also consider waiting another couple of weeks if you decide to go with one of the Old Country smokers. Thanksgiving pre-sales and Black Friday deals are going to start circulating soon and Academy has put them on sale in the past. Good luck either way!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here