Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entry level stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry level stick burner

I am looking to jump in the shallow end of the stickburner pool. I see the beautiful upper end models but what would you recommend for entry level? I would prefer a unit with a double shelf. Thanks for your input.

I've been very pleased, indeed, with my Oklahoma Joe's Highland...
    With an aftermarket tunin' / baffle plate, an some gaskets/RTV, it holds temps ~5° throughout th' cook chamber
    However,
    I see that they have recently re-vamped their lineup, an' I cannot attest to th' quality of current production...

Comment

I was gonna say you may want to check out the Oklahoma Joes. I think you can find them at Lowes.

Comment

There's a number of Pit Members have these, ain't heard nobody cussin' 'em, so far!!!
        No second shelf, but that's curable, in many ways, mild to wild, $-wise!

Comment

Mr. Bones Is your Joe a standard or reverse flow unit? Are you guys using chips, chunks or small splits?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Earlier , standard flow... not reverse...
            I use pretty sizeable splits...avg 3"x3"x16"~
            Start my fire with KBB, make a bed, then make with th' wood...
            It's about bedtime fer Bonzo, here, but I will track down / post links to some of my Joe cooks, tomorrow...

Fenixrising103, what's your budget for this? I would go beyond the really flimsy, bolted together stuff, if possible. I have an Old Country Over/Under that I picked up from Academy Sports last year and I love it for the $500 I gave for it, and it has two expanded steel slide out racks. Old Country also has some offset models that might fit the bill, as well.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-...dCatid=1277366

There's a Youtube channel, Mad Scientist BBQ, that puts out some really solid how-to videos using this line of cookers.
          Last edited by Steve R.; August 1, 2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• sos2979
            sos2979 commented
            Editing a comment
            Very similar to a The Good One open range model. Not sure if it has the same build quality, but for the price it seems solid. Have looked at these a few times as I wander around Academy.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like the design, but it pays to do some shopping around for the one that is put together the best. I even went to more than one Academy store before I pulled the trigger on the one I ended up buying. Old Country kind of bridges the gap between COS and EOS.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a beautiful cooker, with great features, in this price range!!!!
            Perhaps this is a good solution, dependin' on yer budget...

Entry level could mean a lot of things. What price range are you looking for? From my time feeding my MCS I have seen many, but for the most part you want to avoid anything under $400 for a stick burner. Around $400 is the cheapest I've seen that still have enough metal to not rust away in a couple of years. You might could find a good deal on Craigslist if that is too high.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Craigslist definitely produces some Great Deals on cookers, if one is patient, persistent, an' diligent enough...
            I jus' bought a Horizon 20" Classic from there, shown elsewhere on th' Forum...
            It has also yielded multiple, crazy cheap, vintage Webers fer me!!!

My budget is between 500 and 750. I am also leery of the cheap units that will rust out by next season. I will look at the one at Acadmy.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I selfishly hope you go with the Smokehouse cabinet style model, just so I can learn more about it. I'm intriqued by that one. But I've had excellent results from the Over/Under.

• JonnyB
            JonnyB commented
            Editing a comment
            Fenix, I also have the Old Country Over and Under. My son works at Academy, and it looks like the Over and Under is being discontinued. The store here has one in stock, and the price has dropped from $599 to $499. If you can find one for that price, it's a steal.

• JonnyB
            JonnyB commented
            Editing a comment
            Their offset models are good picks too. It looks like they are expanding into the vertical smokers, so if you are interested in that, just look at the Academy website for what they offer.

You can always save up a little more money and $1295 will get you a Lang 36! Just sayin...

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Woah! That seems like a GREAT price.

• cmiller0711
            cmiller0711 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well that is if you pick up from the factory...

Just my opinion here, take it or leave it. Your budget of $500-750 is kind of in a painful mid-range here. What I mean is, that is a good range of money to get something at the high end of a cheap off-set grade of smoker, but not quite enough to get into something that will last really well for years and let you grow.

My strong recommendation to you is to stop looking at new units in this price range. Craigslist is your friend and you are very likely to find a good quality Oklahoma Joe or similar level smoker used but in good condition for less than your price range. Buy a used one and learn to cook on it. Then, once you know what things work for you and what don't - then you can start shopping for a quality one with the features you KNOW you want.

I started with a smoke box in a gasser, then moved on to a COS and UDS which I used for several years - learning the ropes and what I liked. After the COS died, and I had a better idea what I was looking for, I moved up into the heavy duty/last a lifetime range.

If you are bound and determined to spend $500-750, I guarantee you can find a MUCH higher quality used stick burner on the second hand market than what you can buy in a big box store for the same price.

Comment

Aaron Franklin had some YouTube videos where he used one of the Old Country entry level offset cookers to make everything from brisket to ribs and pulled pork. I've seen these at Academy and they look solid - some seem to seal better than others but you can always buy some gaskets and mitigate hot spots with a pan of water. I thought about going this route when I moved to Louisiana but opted to just save my money for two years and buy a Shirley. The Meadow Creek SQ36 goes for just over a $1K, and that's another option if you have a dealer nearby. Craigslist is a smart rec from others, esp. if you are patient. Haven't seen the Oklahoma Joes but I'm sure they are similar to the Old Country lineup. Ditto for the Texas Original Pits.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here