Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size cooker do I need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size cooker do I need

New guy here but was hoping someone could make a recommendation on what size cooker I need for 50-75 lb whole hogs? New to the pit and wood burners but hoping to learn.

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! I can't help you on the cooker, but I am sure some more knowledgeable folks will be along soon.
    Here's a plan for building your own pit:
    How to build a barbecue pit for cooking a whole hog from concrete block (cinder block), including illustrated plans with dimensions and various designs

Last edited by Thunder77; July 31, 2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I can't help you, but someone will be along shortly with the info you need.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I would start by answering what does that size pig measure length and width. That will determine what size grill grate you need unless you are going to rotisserie it or cut it up. Then you can narrow it down to which cookers will hold the pig. Then I believe folks in th Pit will be able to tell about their experience with the cookers. A whole hog? For how many people and how often do you plan to cook a whole hog? Will that justify buying a Pit to cook a whole hog?

Another thought is that you can cook the same number of pounds of pork shoulder without the need of the pig sized single level surface area. So, if it is the total pounds you are after the number of cooker possibilities increases greatly.
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 31, 2017, 06:32 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure the length and width of a pig that size, I have never done one. There is 3 or 4 of us going in on a cooker to use for family and church functions so it will be used several times a year. We are looking to maybe building our own. Couple welders in the group and I'm a machinist so skill and equipment isn't a problem.

Comment

Brweek, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory!
            Enjoy "The Pit"!
            I am not sure there is a Simple answer to Your Question❓ Some Stack Dry Concrete Blocks and Make Up their own Pit with either a Grate or a Rottiserie❓ I have been involved Years Ago in Digging a Pit, wrapping a whole dressed Hog in Burlap, placing it on a bed of Hot Coals, covered with Plywood and Dirt! The time to Cook was above My Pay Grade❓ There are various Commercially Made Santa Maria Style Grills for Whole Hog and larger pieces of Meat! You may want to do a Search of the Equipment Ratings and Reviews Section of the AmazingRibs.Com Homepage❓ You could also ask (PM) Max Good if he has any help or Suggestions for You! Max does te Equipment Ratings and Reviews for AmazingRibs.Com and the "Pit Cub"!
            Eat well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!!!
              Are ya' wantin' yer hog cooker to be portable, or stationary?

Comment

A really BIG ONE! Welcome aboard,eat good & have fun! Oh, and do research on MCS. Feed the need!

Comment

A buddy of mine has one of these. They work great and not too expensive.

Roast your whole pig with a La Caja China roaster model #1 aluminum legs, and aluminum lined & made in the US. Shop quality made barbecue grills today.

Comment

Meadow Creek makes pig roasters and they list their 42" long model (PG42) as good for a 100lb pig. I would use that as your starting point if you are making your own.

Comment

• Beefchop
                      Beefchop commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They seem very versatile - like you can use them to cook just about anything when you aren't roasting hogs for the neighborhood!

Welcome to fun and learning! I don't have experience cooking something that big. There are two recent posts regarding building big Smokers: Henrik and cmiller0711 did wonderful pictorials on their builds.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...d?goto=newpost

Look what I found lying around in the woods. That looks like a proper BBQ smoker to me, a little unpolished, but still! Got hold of the owner, he gives it away

Last edited by kmhfive; July 31, 2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Welcome Brweek ! Can't wait to see pics what you come with and the hogs you cook on it. Document your experience if you can.

Comment

Planning on cooking whole hog? Cool! A 50-75 lb hog isn't that big, so just steer clear of the smallest ones and you'll be good. I'm a big fan of the LoneStar Grills models, but there are plenty others.

The one thing you really need to take into account when doing whole hog is actually getting the critter in and out of the smoker. As in: one big door/lid, and it should be easy for two people to get close enough to lift it into and out of the smoker. Sliding racks works wonders, just make sure they support the weight when fully extended. There are some Myron Mixon smokers that have a vertical double door that opens left and right, respectively, which really helps.

Comment

As PBCDad suggests above, you need something 40 plus inches long. Here's how to make a whole hog pit: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...a_hog_pit.html
                          Here's how to prep and smoke: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...g_picking.html

Comment

I would say at the lease around a 30" inside diameter and 40" long. Try to make a tray that can slid in with ease.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here