Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offset smoker - what cool features are needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset smoker - what cool features are needed?

Howdy folks,

since I built my offset smoker this spring I've been a plannin' and a schemein' for the next one. Yes, Rude Boy is getting a little brother/sister. The name is already settled (I'll reveal that later), but I thought: except for the 'basic' stuff like a firebox, a food chamber and one or two grill grates, what feature would you like in a custom built offset? I'm asking to get some inspiration for my next build. Here's what I plan for (early days yet, but I thought I'd let you know the rough ideas):
    • normal offset (not reverse, don't need it, can build one with even temps anyway). Think Yoder Wichita.
    • wood fired only (although I'm keen on including a briquette snake box, see attached photo)
    • it must function without an electrical power supply (I'm saying that because I was real keen on doing hydraulic doors at first )
    • backyard size
    That's all I can think of right now. The shape (i.e. two cylinders, one for the firebox, one for the food chamber) isn't a must either. I'm considering a long rectangular food chamber also. Or something entirely else, time to get creative!

Features that I can think of are:
    • some kind of grill grates in/on the firebox for direct grilling (burgers, hot dogs, flank steak). I don't have that on my big smoker. LSG has done this on some of their models. It looks great.
    • eeerrr...and that's all I could think of, at least right now.

Those of you that (like me) keep drooling over purdy smokers like Lone Star Grillz, El Rey (darn they're good looking) or Red Dirt Smokers, what specific features do you like about them?

Hit me with your ideas, it would be nice to hear what I should include.

The custom 'snake' briquette box, for those days when you just can't be bothered with baby sitting a stick burner:

Click image for larger version

Name:	briquette_snake_box.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	338642

Slide out grates.

I would really like a water reservoir near the firebox that takes up about the first 10 inches of the smoker chamber. That way it is right next to the firebox to get plenty heat to steam off, and have a refill plug. Think Slow 'n Sear water reservoir location.

Comment

Good points, Jerod Broussard. Slide out grates is definitely on my list, I didn't do that for the current smoker. I built a water reservoir on the current one, and it is definitely going in to the new one too. I can't imagine having a wood fired offset without a water pan. The simple refill plug is very smart though, thanks!

Comment

I love LSG. Steve B turned me onto those suckers. I love the grilled top above the fire box. As well as the ability to grill right over the fire. Their pits also come with inducer ports for Guru's and 200,000 Btu burners to start to fire. I think these are great additions.
        i also love how you can fill the bottom of the rig with water for water smoking, then drain it easily.
        Also a large front shelf in front of the cooking chamber. I am taller so I can handle the extra reach that would be required.
        The next Pit I buy is gonna be the LSG.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Just checked out their product video (again). The LSG 24x36 sure is a well built smoker!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hell yeah man. They are built like tanks. I love the craftsmanship. Henrik

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik my avatar you commented on is a 24X36 LSG.
          Awesome rig.

Henrik love that briquette box. If I ever own a stick burner, it will definitely include one of those.

Ideas

1. multiple grommets/locations for your thermometer probes. Makes it way easier to get probes to meat and various grate locations without having to snake wires all over the inside.
        2. Racks/storage under/beside the cooker .... ideal is probably under the cooker as part of it's supporting stand. Enclosed, even better. My Hasty-Bake has that and it is where I keep the stuff I need sometimes, but not always. It's out of the weather, but not cluttering my garage.
        3. Definitely some sort of grilll capability right in the firebox.
        4. Some sort of name or brag plates on the outside.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I'm definitely adding storage racks. Don't have that on the current one, on the other hand I have a large trailer. But racks look much nicer.

Bottle opener. Oh, and a warming box with damper to let in live smoke!

Comment

Henrik, i put together a post a little while back on some of the custom tweaks we built into my offset. The sliding grates is a good idea, but since i cook a lot using hotel pans, my shelf and rack are the same height as the bottom of my lid so i just slide the pan in and out of the smoker. No lifting. If you will cook with pans, might consider that for the lower shelf.

add lots of hook for hanging gear. Drain plug on the bottom of the cook chamber for easy grease draining.

If i ever build another stick burner offset, i would also look at putting the exhaust stack inlet on the horizontal end of the smoker right at the height of your main grate instead of at the top of the cook chamber. The idea is to make the smoke flow as linearly as possible across the meat.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Like the LSG.

• Nightrayne
            Nightrayne commented
            Editing a comment
            The LSG is one, but I am thinking more like what Aaron Franklin was doing in the pictures of his book. A full width horizontal wedge leading to the stack so it draws across the entire grate

• bbqncigars
            bbqncigars commented
            Editing a comment
            The stack exhaust is one of the first mods I did to my Klose pit almost twenty years ago. Put a sleeve inside it that extended the internal opening down to meat rack level. These days I'd give a serious look to the LSG.
            Last edited by bbqncigars; June 29, 2017, 10:27 PM.

Henrik, I wrote this Post 2 Hrs Ago and Was Adding Pic's for illuminating❓detail! When Poof Up Jumped the Devil and Into the Great Unknown She all Went Not to be Seen Again❓ Kinda Brings to Mind an Old Girl Friend! She did the Same Thing? Well in any Case I'll Try Again! I Have a COS Oklahoma Joe Offset Stick Burner! I have Modified it Extensively, First by Ordering a Ton of High Temp Silicon Caulk and Nomax Gasketing the Need for Which could Have Been Eliminated with a Good Welding Jig or Someone who gave a S--t when welding! I then added Furnace FireBrick to the Bottom of both the FireBox and the Cook Chamber! Then I added a Tuning Plate from www.smokermods.com in The Cook Chamber! The other Addition was a Pit Bull Fan(20 CFM) from http://www.TheBBQGuru.Com which lets Me switch my DigiQ DX-2 Temp Control between my Weber Kettle to the OK JOE in Seconds! My thanks to the BBQGuru.com tech support who suggested the Location for the Fan so it does't interfere with the Factory Doors or Vent!
          I'll try once again to add the Pic's❓ and Close by Saying I like the Way it Smokes as Modified!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	339725Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	339727Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	959.0 KB ID:	339724Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	339721Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	339726Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	339715Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	339716Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	339717Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	339720Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	738.7 KB ID:	339722Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	339723
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 29, 2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Good ash cleaning/removal,and cook chamber clean out ability.On my cooker the shelves come out and I spray them w/easy off,then cart them down to the self serve carwash to rinse(nice grease trap no pollution!)

Comment

I love the fact that most of you suggest practical features, right up my alley! In my current smoker I already have the following features, and they will be built in the new one too:

1. Smart smoke stack placement
              2. Grease drain
              3. Easy ash removal
              4. Water pan/baffle
              5. Insulated using double walls

This will be added:
              1. Slide out grates, just because it is convenient
              2. Supertight doors and hinges (more for look and feel really)
              3. Bragging rights sign located somewhere
              4. Direct grill rack or something in or on the firebox
              5. Custom paint job
              6. Shelves

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely moving in the right directions there, @Henrick!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here