Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of an offset set up - 2K minimum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of an offset set up - 2K minimum?

Unfortunately, the offset category is probably the least covered category of equipment reviews found on the Amazing Ribs site. Many of their reviews are done secondhand so there isn't much information out there on the various manufacturers or models. The write ups are pretty basic (once you read the excellent article about why it doesn't pay to go with a cheap offset) which is understandable given the cost of your basic offset.

I've priced a few different models and it looks like you are in for a $2K investment if you get the set up that maximizes the cooker's capabilities. I'm sure you could run one stock, but tuning plates, charcoal baskets, ash pans (for the square firebox designs), charcoal grill grates for the main cooking chamber, 2nd tier cooking grate, and shipping all add up and push the price from what is usually a base price of $1,000 to $1,500 to $2,000+. My research has been on 20"x40"ish offsets made by Lang, Johnson, Pits by JJ, Lonestar Grillz, Horizon, Meadow Creek (SQ36) and Yoder.

Is 2K the minimum investment for a good quality EOS, or am I missing something. The market seems polarized between the crap you find at Home Depot and custom cookers made by professional metal fabricators.

I agree... there is not much in between COS and EOS... I suppose that helps the popularity of the Webers, PBCs, etc.

Comment

Yeh, and really it starts adding up quick.

24" offsets really hold temp better then 20" due to the increased air mass. Many people have mentioned that to me. The increase in pit space with a 24" b/n the shelves is nicer also.

If I were to get an offset, definitely would have to have an insulated firebox

Counter weight on the lid. The list goes on...I was at almost $3,000 just for the yard, no trailer.

I would no doubt invest in more Pit Barrels before even looking at another offset, should I need more capacity.

Grilling is awesome b/c you are cooking over coals. Do that with brisket, pork butt and ribs, and you have A HOME RUN!!!!!

Comment

Ah, Jerod. You are such a pragmatist! I do like the PBC BBQ. I just thought there was a special mystique to slow cooking with indirect wood coals. Big. Heavy. Hard to move. I just moved and should have this painful aversion to adding something large and metal to my backyard, right? For some reason, I keep getting drawn back to the offsets. Must have an incurable desire to spend money on something I don't really need.

Comment

Many people are choosing smokers that are easier to use. We tried to cover well known and popular offsets, but fact is, fewer and fewer people are buying them.

Comment

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            Understandable. I was hoping some of the other members may have some experiences to share. I've gotten Huskee's take on his Yoder...

Hi BC, there are some of us really salivating over getting an EOS. I have looked at all the brands that you have and the only reason I don't have one today is I haven't saved enough lunch money to go get one. I will probably get a Lang 48" Deluxe as they are made here in Georgia and it is just a day trip to go to Lang and pick it up. There are some really great units out there and I am sure you will find the one that will work for you. There are others on here also wanting a stick burner and eventually those that really want one will get it. I am hoping to get mine next year (might be Dec 31, 2015) but I am shooting for it. I look forward to hanging out and tending the fire, so to speak.

Comment

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            Barry... I am one of those who is wanting a stick burner too... I am really far from any of those builders and an EOS is out of my range for sure, but my brother is a welder/fabricator and I am working on him to try building one... he said he has all the materials for a 40+ incher... ya never know.

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            Smarkley, at one time in my life I was a nuclear welder and did a lot of welding. If you have access to someone that is a good welder and if you can get the materials you can make a great unit. It isn't rocket scientist work but, you have to pay attention to detail and you will get a great product.

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            'tis a lot of lunch money to save! I like the Lang cookers, but the shipping to Louisiana is more than comparable cookers made in Texas, unfortunately. If I lived near GA then they'd be on my list. the 48 Deluxe looks like a nice unit.

Smoked meat is nice, and if I drank, sippin' on suds while the offset smoked away would be the thing to do.....I guess.

The reason smoked meat is popular is because not many people have had Pit Barrel'd goodies.

And in all honesty, running 5, 1,000 gallon tank smokers like Aaron Franklin does, makes more sense than loading a bunch of Pit Barrels.....for now.....

Comment

BC let us know what you're top 3 or 4 makes/models/options are. Get as specific as you can. Might help us help you make a decision

Comment

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              Here's a representative sample:

1) The Horizon 20" Marshall with the optional charcoal grill grate in the main chamber, charcoal basket, ash pan, 2nd shelf in the cooking chamber, and convection tuning plate (est. $1,800 w/out shipping)
              2) LoneStar Grillz 20"x40" (same basic options above at the same basic price)
              3) Meadow Creek PR 42 with the charcoal pan insert and pull out charcoal tray for $1,300 without shipping

You get the gist. The Meadow Creek isn't an offset, but you can burn wood in the pull out charcoal tray. I like that option because you can low and slow, grill and it's large enough to cook a 100 lb. hog.

That seems reasonable for the top line ones. If you go trailer-mounted you're also paying for a trailer on top of that (steel is expensive). If you pick backyard models only, with wheels to move it here & there, you're right on track. Custom Pits out of GA makes a nice Porch Model for $850 pre-delivery. My Yoder Wichita delivered ran around $2,200 w/ semi delivery from KS to MI.
            Last edited by Huskee; November 3, 2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              That seems reasonable for the top line ones. If you go trailer-mounted you're also paying for a trailer on top of that (steel is expensive). If you pick backyard models only, with wheels to move it here & there, you're right on track. Custom Pits out of GA makes a nice Porch Model for under $850 pre-delivery. My Yoder Wichita delivered ran around $2,200 w/ semi delivery from KS to MI.

That firebox looks enormous compared to the Pit chamber. Nice specs overall. Looks like a pretty good deal. Has Max reviewed this one?

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't believe so. I really like the looks of it myself, and that's a great price point if you ask me, for a stickburner with 5/16" thickness! I just wish it had a flip-top firebox lid so the firebox could be used as a grill too, right now it's just a stove.

• Beefchop
                Beefchop commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow. Cool find!!!

Have you looked at the "The Good One" line. I just received and assembled my new Open Range model today. It is basically an offset cooker,only the design makes more sense to me for temperature control. I can attest to the quality workmanship already. It is heavy and everything fit together perfectly. Worth looking at the review ​

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I bet you could use logs if you wanted, really what is the difference? Most people probably use charcoal for ease of use and add chunks for flavor.

• Beefchop
                Beefchop commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I use now in my WSM.

• Bodori
                Bodori commented
                Editing a comment
                My deck wouldn't really handle anything larger. Cured mine today, and am going to fire it up for pork butt tomorrow.

The Good One(s) are nice looking. Heat wants to go up. Grilling ability is nice also.

Comment

What I like about the solid steel EOS is that it's a lifetime yard ornament. There are no components to break or need rebuilding, and it doesn't use electricity. Rain & snow doens't hurt it, except for minor surface rust. It has a lifetime warranty, and a 75 year firebox burnout warranty. My kids and grandkids will inherit this from me when I'm gone. These factors, and the oldschool approach of bonfire+meat, is what interested me over and above the benefits of more advanced SIFIs (set it & forget its).

The Good-One Marshall, which I didn't knwo existed when I was in the market, would surely have been a consideration for me at that time. If I were the welding type, I would create one very similar, I like its design.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                  Yeh, and really it starts adding up quick.

24" offsets really hold temp better then 20" due to the increased air mass. Many people have mentioned that to me. The increase in pit space with a 24" b/n the shelves is nicer also.

If I were to get an offset, definitely would have to have an insulated firebox

Counter weight on the lid. The list goes on...I was at almost $3,000 just for the yard, no trailer.

I would no doubt invest in more Pit Barrels before even looking at another offset, should I need more capacity.

Grilling is awesome b/c you are cooking over coals. Do that with brisket, pork butt and ribs, and you have A HOME RUN!!!!!
                  So Jerod, you said the list goes on. Would you share the accessories list you made up that would give you your perfect EOS. When I read that post it triggered the bthought that i haven't considered everything.

Comment

The Good-One is an example of one of the newer designs that makes sense on paper and work great in the backyard, or for competitions and commercial use. You can burn wood in them although most opt for charcoal with wood for flavoring because it's less expensive, easier to transport, you get up to temp faster, and it's easier to control and get repeatable results.

I don't want to sound anti-offset Meadow Creek makes a variety of excellent offsets. Bottom line - if you want an an offset, you must spend the money to buy quality. They require a higher level of skill than most other designs, but many swear by them. And yes, the larger diameter offsets hold heat better. Roger Davidson from Horizon tells me he always advises customers to go at least 20".

Comment

• Beefchop
                      Beefchop commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think I'm stuck at a point we all reach at some leg in our search for BBQ perfection...you know, where the marginal utility from the gadget or next level is worth the money spent. In this case, is the added benefit of cooking with wood coals worth the extra money you have to pay for a quality offset? Not something we can answer on this forum, but the discussion has been enlightening!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here