Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam

Has anyone ever seen or used an offset that has a metal water container above the firebox with two pipes with holes running into the smoke chamber under the meat so it steams? Saw a smoker like that today, wanted to see if that actually helps with keeping meats, such as briskets, moist or if it had no impact at all.

My opinion is steam is a myth. Running hot water by hot water won't decrease the evaporation rate. It may provide flavoring or other such secondary effects, but the primary quality won't be changed. The only advantage is if it gives you true 2 zone cooking. So chemistry, 212 is the boiling point, water helps a ton if you're low and slow-ing which is awesome for a constant temperature. Otherwise, water is just a heat sink to create the 2 zone.

@DrBlonder I apologize for misspelling his name.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      i think he is trying to just add humidity to the cook chamber not cook with steam.

I would love to see a photo of what you are talking about. My new smoker is a stick burning upright with a (removable) welded metal water pan with a lip directly above the fire. Smoke does not come directly up from the bottom. Instead, it has a box in the back with a damper system that redirects the heat and smoke from the firebox into the smoke chamber. It works a lot like an offset smoker in that regard. The beauty is that I can use the water pan as a heat regulator for low and slow or to just add moisture for hotter/faster cooks. I would love to see an example of what you are describing. It sounds intriguing.

Comment

I've tried to find a picture on the Internet but can't. Must not be very popular.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here