Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COS "mod" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COS "mod" question

I am thinking about wrapping some bricks with aluminum foil and lining the bottom of my grill with them in an effort to try to stabilize the temp swings. Has anybody done something similar who has an opinion as to whether it will work? Any tips, tricks or pitfalls to avoid? Thanks.

I tried that, I didn't see much difference, if any. Certainly nothing close to what my reverse flow plate did.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerod Broussard I have a baffle and tuning plates but I was hoping to add some thermal mass. I'm doing a brisket on Sunday and I'll see if it makes a difference.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck!

Dewesq55, I think you want to use firebrick to line your firebox and cook chamber! Conventional clay brick will tend to pop and breakdown with high temperatures! I have lined 2 COS's Todate one Brinkman and most recently an Oklahoma Joe Highlands! I feel the bricks do help stabilize the temps! I don't wrap the individual bricks but I do wrap the pan that sits on them in the Brinkman and I am still in the Mod Process on the OKJ! Pics below if I can
    be of any help to You just PM Me!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	221611 Click image for larger version

Views:	183
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	221613 Click image for larger version

Views:	199
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	221609 Click image for larger version

Views:	177
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	221608 Click image for larger version

Views:	168
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	221610 Click image for larger version

Views:	189
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	221612

Views:	181
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	221621 Click image for larger version

Views:	171
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	221616 Click image for larger version

Views:	164
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	221622 Click image for larger version

Views:	169
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	221617 Click image for larger version

Views:	180
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	221619

Views:	168
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	221614 Click image for larger version

Views:	171
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	221620 Click image for larger version

Views:	188
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	221968 Click image for larger version

Views:	181
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	221969
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 18, 2016, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• Rlawton79
      Rlawton79 commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 does the baffle plate you pictured here work very well? I saw that on bbqsmokermods.com, but did not see any reviews for it.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - I think this is a keeper thread. These photos are awesome.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 Done!

Thanks Danjohnston949 I'm not quite sure which bricks these are, although they have the same/similar texture to the ones in your photos. They were lying around so I used them. Part of the reason for wrapping them, however, was in case of popping. If I like the result, I will probably spring for some real fire brick. I am only putting them in the cooking chamber.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 I don't use the self stick gaskets on the firebox. I used the braided flat stove gasket and stuck it on with the red RTV sealant.

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 I too had the heat from the fire box melt the adhesive on my firebox after only 2 cooks all had fallen off (on the fire box only) I was just gonna live with it but like Dewesq55 idea. Can get the Red RTV sealant at a Car shop but will have to order the Braided gasket on line.

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      GadjetGriller, Dewesq55, I contacted Island Outdoor LLC @ bbqsmokermods.com and they sent me a "Black Kit" with the Proper Firebox Gasket Material and Black High Temp RTV650 to Secure It! Item # IO-120
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

When I modified my former COS Charbroil Silver I put a bunch of clay paver tiles in the cooking chamber under the baffle and it definitely helped with temperature swings and stopped a lot of the constant temp monitoring needed.
    I also covered both the cooking chamber and firebox with welding blankets which made a huge difference for temp stability and fuel consumption.
    I never got to the gasketing as I did not feel that I really needed them after doing the above.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Ischweig, I use a coarse Wool Blanket I purchased at Harbor Frtt Tools to cover the Smoker in Coal Wx! It Conforms to the cook chamber and firebox very well with only minor scorching! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Question: wouldn't fire brick really act as insulator rather than thermal mass. I would think you want something more dense to take up the heat.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mitchl, You raise an interesting question. I don't know enough about thermodynamics and the refractive quality of clay brick vs firebrick! This anecdotal, clay bricks will pop when heated, firebrick doesn't! I have been pleased with the COS temp control with them! A Backyard Cremator, Dan

In my old COS I used to put a water pan right next to the opening between the firebox and the cooking chamber as well as one at the other end, near the chimney. I found that I had to add water more often to the pan nearest the fire but it seemed to be an effective way to control the temps from side to side. I had no science to back this up. It was just a trial and error thing - I started with a couple of water pans together to get more moisture in and then would move one occasionally to act as a drip pan, as well. Finally, I found that the opposite end system just worked.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4, I also use water pans over the baffle plate and under the grill!

I had the same problem with the gaskets what I did is took some of the red RTV and used it like glue to stick the gaskets on, it worked quite well

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      grillinglen, Thanks, I will try the red RTV! A Crimp On Gasket would work Better IMHOP!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      The nomex gasket around my cook chamber door started to come off yesterday during my cook.

Rlawton79, I believe the Tuning Plate does improve the Temp Control of the Oklahoma Joe Higland! I have not used it enough to give you Temp Specifics but I have done two Butts and 3 racks of Ribs Simultaneously and I was Pleased! The BBQGURU DigiQ-2 with the Pit Bull Fan seems to be the ticket! The Firebrick also seems to help stabilize Temp Swings? I hope this helps You, One other Mod I intend to make is a 20 Ga SS Plate Heat
    Diverter on the Lid of the Firebox on the Inside if Possible on Stand Offs! I hope this helps You!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	789.3 KB ID:	231575Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	231576Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	231577Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.83 MB ID:	231579Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.52 MB ID:	231581Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.19 MB ID:	231580Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	231578Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	687.5 KB ID:	231574Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	231582Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	619.5 KB ID:	231573

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here